How can i make my guinea pigs stop biting and banging their cage?

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:25 am

I have three boys and they all love to bite the cage. Especially if they run out of food. They used to cry to get my attention but have now turned to biting the cage. One of them now bangs the divider door/ramp on the floor which is becoming problematic. I'm not sure why he does it. I tried to isolate him and put him on the side where the ramp can be folded up to let him know what he did was bad. But he still does it and won't stop unless i flick him on the nose. And even when i flick him on the nose he still does it. Is there any other way I can atleast get him to stop banging the ramp on the floor?

And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:44 am

You can't train them not to do that. Nose flicking and isolation won't help at all.

You can line the inside of the cage with plexiglass at the area where they chew. I'd be willing to bet that's at the side closest to the kitchen where they can hear/smell you fixing the veggies. And figure out a way to clamp the ramp down, or put something under it that will muffle the sound.

Post   » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:32 am

How big is the cage? If you bought it at a pet store, it's not big enough. Also, they should not be running out of food! They should have enough hay to last through until you give them hay again. I always did hay in the morning and in the evening. Maybe they would stop this behavior if they had room to run and had an unlimited amount of hay.

Also, your pigs will never come to trust you if you keep "flicking" them on the nose. You can't punish a guinea pig. They don't have the capacity to understand.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1