Specific taming question

lilythepig2017

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:25 am

So Lily our three month old is very sweet. In three weeks we’ve trained her to come when called. When you call her name she runs up to you in the play pen and comes to be pet. When I sit in the play pen with her she is so excited. Popcorns, comes to be pet, takes food from my hand. Today she even rolled on her back after popcorning which was hilarious to see. At night she will lie in my lap and sprawl out yawning while I pet her.

She is perfectly tame: except one thing: being picked up.

Since I’ve had her for three weeks I always let her come out of the cage and step up on a towel, then I take her to her playpen or to sit with me. I never grab her but let her step up on her own. But there are times she doesn’t want to go on the towel but I need her to, like going back to her cage at the end of the night.
If I pick her up she will run and when I hold her while walking only she softly bites. Not painful but warning me. Once seated with me she is loving, sprawled, and again loves to be pet and is very relaxed in her posture.

But it’s that act of picking her up, and walking with her she doesn’t like. I make sure all 4 feet are cradled in my arm. Her favorite treat is green peas so I was thinking should I offer her a green pea every time I pick her up? So she associates ITV with happy treats? Any other tips?

She is 90% tame. It’s really just the pick up and carrying her while waking she’s still uncomfortable with. So I’d love any tips.

Thanks so much

crowcrash

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:29 am

Totally natural, what with their ancestors being eagle food. I have one pig that tolerates being picked up, but he’s just lazy and I’m sure he still hates it.

So I found a small travel crate on sale, and taught my pigs to go into it. It would only work with a topless cage, but you set the crate in the cage, pop it open, and take away any igloos, they’ll naturally run to the crate. It didn’t take long at all. After a couple times of being transferred into the playpen with some veggies, they’ve associated it with good things and will always come running when I set the crate down.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:57 am

Think about being high up and fear of falling too. I had one guinea pig that was extremely fearful of being carried and bit my clothing (they ended up with lots of tiny holes).

lilythepig2017

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:40 pm

That’s good to know. I think I’ll do that idea with the tiny crate. She’s so tame otherwise. I won’t push her boundaries on being picked up then.

Thanks so much!

CavyGirl04

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:02 pm

Yeah, one of my piggies is scared of heights, I think. I have a Cuddle cup that I can sort of wrap around her, since she's much calmer if she can't see how high up she is. Although she's not quite as nice as Lily - she is completely scared of/hates being touched (not because of mites or anything, she just doesn't like it).

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:16 pm

I would keep working with her, and give her a treat after you carry her. I bet it's just that she's small and scared. One of our pigs isn't a lap pig at all, so we carry him in a fleece pocket to/from the floor time area.

lilythepig2017

Post   » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 am

Ok. So maybe I’ll try and pick her up but give her her favorite peas afterwards each time. She loves those little green veggies :) I think if I was picked up that high, at her size, I’d be terrified too.

I wonder if someone where she came from spent time with her because she just seems so tame.

Thanks so much!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Go light on the peas. Leafy green would be a superior treat.

lilythepig2017

Post   » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:47 pm

Are peas too sweet? A tablespoon a day ok?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:29 pm

Peas tend to be starchy - a kind of sugar. Kind of like eating potatoes.

lilythepig2017

Post   » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:16 pm

Ok. Good to know! They can be her occasional treat or when I’m trying to train her.

Thanks!

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:48 am

Sorry, but I have to chuckle a bit when you say you are trying to "train" your pig.

lilythepig2017

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 pm

lol. no acrobatic tricks! :D Just training to her come when we call her. She has mastered that, but when she's older we may "try" to potty train her. Try ;D

13 posts • Page 1 of 1