RIP Peekaboo

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:52 pm

It's with great sadness I tell you of Peek's passing this morning. I want to think he went easily in his sleep. I was going to ask the vet to put him to sleep when next we saw her - this coming Thursday, but I didn't think he'd last that long. Yesterday, he was very quiet and couldn't seem to get warm, or at least to me he felt very cold. He was down to about 800 grams last Saturday, and I suppose I should have been weighing him daily. It just hurt to see his weight keep falling and not being able to do anything about it.

As best as we could tell, Peek was at least 7 years old. I adopted him as an adult; the pet store people knew literally nothing about him. At his first exam, though, we found signs of arthritis showing in the x-rays, so we figured he was at least 2 then. That was almost 5 years ago.

He taught me a lot and because of him, I came to know all of you wonderful people.

It took me several months to be able to get close to him, probably because I was too loud and moved too fast. He finally learned his name and the signal for "I just want to pet you" - one stretched out finger. Until recently, he still wouldn't let me pet him for more than a minute, before he raced off. I had to be very careful picking him up because even though I held him on my forearm with my elbow directly in front of him, he'd still try to jump back into the cage. My stubborn, stand-off-ish boy.

Except when housed with Scatter, he was Lord of his castle. Even though he was neutered, he took no guff from the girls. He couldn't prevent Fuzz from snatching food from his mouth, but he knew which battles to fight. He could and did "nose up higher" than all the ladies. Otherwise, he was a polite gentleman.

I loved to pet his crest and kiss him there - when he'd let me. He was never really a lap pig, always wanting to be back in his cage as soon as possible.

I'll miss you, my Peekaboo. Rest in peace, baby boy.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:56 pm

I'm so sorry, Grannyju1.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry about Peek, GrannyJu1. Sometimes the quirkiest pigs end up being the ones we love the most. Each guinea pig seems to give us their own reason for loving them. You have all our sympathy. I know that despite the fact you knew his time was short. it doesn't make his loss any easier.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:46 pm

My thoughts and hugs go out to you. It's so heartbreaking losing our fur babies. It sounds like Peek had a great life with you and I'm sure he will be missed.

lilythepig2017

Post   » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Aw I’m really sorry for your loss

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:30 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Peekaboo.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:02 pm

Thanks, everyone. Your condolences do help.

He remained my Peekaboo (hiding and/or running from me) up until the last couple of weeks.

After all the time we spent together these last few months (syringing him Pedialyte), we did grow closer.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:17 am

I'm so sorry to hear this.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:27 am

I'm sorry.

CavyDad
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:09 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about Peekaboo. It's so hard when we lose these little guys.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:30 am

Thank you.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:15 am

I am so sorry you lost Peekaboo! RIP little man now in perfect health. Run free and popcorn and have food fights in paradise. Reunited with Flossie, Veebee, Scatter, Sassy and Xena. Run and play all together never to be parted. Watch over Fuzzbutt and your human slaves. Sending you all big hugs!