Cats and Lids

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:20 pm

Once the kittens discovered they could climb the grids and get into the cage, we bought a lid for the 2X6 grid cage and blocked off the other half (2X5 grid). However the kittens are now reaching through the grids from the side AND the lid, and we're afraid they might catch a pig that way.

Is this something we should worry about? We've tried covering the lid with a white sheet but this leaves the pigs in a perpetual twilight and the kittens just try to dig through the sheet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:47 pm

How about screening? Tulle is a fabric that is pretty open and might let in more light.

They do sound like pesky little cats! (though adorable)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:42 pm

Or window screening? Hopefully the problem is temporary. My kitten gave up trying to play with the pigs pretty quickly.

JX4

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 pm

They are kittens. I predict they will eventually lose interest. But the suggestion of window screening until that happens is a good one.

When we first got our guinea pigs, our cat would sit next to the cage and stare at them. Once we started getting the pigs out for floor time, though, the cat decided they weren't quite so interesting. She watched them at first, then the first time one of them moved toward her, she jumped a mile high and ran off.

She no longer thinks the pigs are worth even looking at. if we have one on one of our laps and she jumps up onto our lap too, she'll see the pig, crinkle her nose in disgust and jump right back down.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 am

Unfortunately, we "made the mistake" of getting 2 kittens at the same time. The little buggers like the top of the cage so much they get up there to sleep and wrestle. I'm now thinking of less attractive (away from the window) places to put the cage, but may need to downsize to do so. I pick up another baby pig next Friday, which will give me 2 babies and 4 year-old Fuzz. Currently, Fuzz and Dusty are in a 2x6 cage. Would a 2x5 work for this group? Meanwhile, I'm going to see what I can do with tulle or window screen.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:32 am

Another alternative is to create a gable top that they would not like to get on (a peaked top like a traditional house roof with a big slope). Using grids to create a second wall several inches from the main wall might also prevent their paws from getting inside the cage. The less they can touch the pigs, the less likely they will be interested.

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:07 pm

I thought of the extra wall of grids too, like Lynx suggested. I wonder if you made the extra wall two grids high, it would keep out the little buggers. A good thing to start is to get the kittens used to claw trims. You still want to keep them from taking a swipe at the pigs but regular claw trims to keep those pointy little "sharps" pared down will be helpful not only for the pig's sake but also your furniture.

The only time my cats were interested in the pigs when I had them was when there were baby pigs. Baby pigs are small and move quickly like a mouse. So I suppose that's the intrigue.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:16 pm

That could be it, WICharlie. Dusty (baby) gets the brunt of the chasing, and now I have another baby moving in on the 19th. We're thinking Lynx's gable roof is very interesting.

I'm not about to let the kittens and pigs interact without covered protection yet, not until kittens are at least a year old - another 8 or 9 months. They'll still have to be watched very closely even then. My other cats were much older and although they did get into the floor cage, one was only interested in the hay and the other wanted to play vulture (watching from on top of the footstool she perched herself on).

Yesterday, even with the sheet still over the top, the kittens could see Dusty in the cage and kept "pouncing" on her. She/they will be thoroughly traumatized by the time I get the solution, poor baby(ies).

They do get regular claw trims, if only to protect my legs. I run around in shorts year round.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:22 am

Congrats on getting another piggy tomorrow our time. must send or post a pic! Have you thought of perhaps putting chicken wire around the cage? As for the roof Lynx's idea of a pointy roof sounds like a great idea! You might like to make toys for the kittens like screwing a newspaper into a ball or toilet rolls for them to play with so they're too tired to look at piggies! Give Dusty a cuddle from us, I'll wait till new piggy comes before pignapping them! Enjoy ALL your furbabies! I have Jan who loves to chew my T shirts little minx-she's a piggy not a kitty.

lisam

Post   » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:31 am

My pigs learned that the kittens couldn't get to them, and eventually the kittens gave up. I never had an issue with a pig getting hurt from a kitten reaching through the grids. My pigs were older and wiser, however.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:02 pm

That was the case with my other two cats, lisam. I'm hoping these two will get the message also. However, the cage is in a prime spot for them to lay on and look out the window. I have window beds in all the other windows, but apparently this one is the best. Grrrr. That's why I was thinking of moving the cage.

Imagecats & cage 1.19.18

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:44 pm

I can see why they'd like it!!