Guinea Pig and Rabbit in the Same House?

weezernwenzday

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:49 pm

Hello everyone! I've had guinea pigs for years and I've read that rabbits carry a bacteria that can be harmful to piggies. What I'm wondering is this. I live with my mom and she would like a rabbit as a pet. I'm all for it if it's okay for the rabbit to live in the same house as my pig. The rabbit would be in a different room as my piggie but I'm concerned about handling both because let's face it-if she has a cute bunny I'm going to want to be its friend! Anyone ever safely have pigs/rabbits in this situation?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:44 pm

I think it depends on the individual rabbit. I do not know if they can be tested for it. Perhaps you are thinking of bordetella?

weezernwenzday

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:54 pm

I don't know the name but that might be it. I'm going to do some more research. My gut says keeping them in separate rooms/areas ought to be enough but I don't want to take any chances! Thanks for the info.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:05 pm

A lot of people have both pigs and rabbits, in the same room, even. I believe, but am not sure, you can vaccinate rabbits against bordatella. But if both are housed inside, and there are no dogs, it's unlikely that either would have it.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Both rabbits and guinea pigs CAN get a lot of diseases, but, as bpatters mentioned, an animal housed inside with no "outside" animals is probably fine.

Here is a CDC page about diseases that can be carried by guinea pigs and rabbits. Although it's for human health, many would make guinea pigs sick, like salmonella, so you can see what different diseases can be carried. However, it is very rare for most of these to be carried by them, so don't worry too much. https://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/pets/sm ... index.html

laranoelle79

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:01 pm

Guinea pigs can catch Bordatella from Rabbits, rabbits have it naturally

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:54 am

We have our 6 girls inside the house in same room as Jolly the rabbit and all has been fine here. We clean Jolly out twice a day and always wash our hands after handling him. We did lose Jupiter and Jasmine in February last year but am 99% sure unrelated to Jolly. He goes out for around 1 hour a day in his run and only gets vaccinated for myxomatosis. And this is 3 times a year. There are no other animals we have. I think if you wash your hands things should be find. If concerned talk to your vet or rescue.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:33 pm

I've read that it's not a good idea because rabbits have really strong kicks that can easily injure a piggy. Also, if you get a male rabbit, you have to be really careful to supervise them if they are together because rabbits have been know to try and breed with guinea pigs, which can cause severe trauma. I wouldn't do it at all.

weezernwenzday

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Oh, this is all such good information! Thank you guys so much. We have no dogs or cats and there would be no other animals visiting the home so I think it will probably be alright. The one thing I would not do is allow them to be free range together. If we get a rabbit, there will be a baby gate to separate the house into halves. Pig on my side, rabbit on mom's lol. My guinea pig is very particular and even if it was safe he would probably not like some big ol rabbit taking up his space or distracting me from him.

Kimera

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:55 pm

There is a lot of conflicting information and evidence on Encephalitozoon cuniculi in guinea pigs. It is a protozoan parasite responsible for very serious neurological problems in rabbits. It has been found that guinea pigs housed with rabbits who are carriers of the parasite can be infected, but it is not certain whether they can actually develop clinical symptoms. Many guinea pigs who presented with torticollis,walking in circles and seizures were carriers of E. Cuniculi, but at the same time the same symptoms may be caused by bacterial infections attacking the inner ear and/or brain. Some veterinarians, among them dr Eva Steffels of Maru-vet, think that it is only a coincidence, others prefer to treat guinea pigs as if they were rabbits, usually with fenbendazole. There is still not enough information and the evidence is not conclusive as yet.

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:15 pm

I want to clarify that the original poster is not talking about having the rabbit and pig live together in the same cage, only that they live in the same house.

I never had rabbits but what I have gleaned from info here from those who do, rabbits are also social animals and appreciate living in pairs. Is that correct? If so, it may be a consideration when thinking of getting a rabbit as a pet. I know that female rabbits should always be spayed to prevent cancers of the reproduction organs later in life. So that cost should be expected.

Phantomhorse

Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:01 am

They can absolutely live in the same house. I have seven rabbits in the same house as my pigs, and while my pigs made the rabbits sick in the same room, they are in different rooms now and do fine! They have lived in the same house for three years, and everybody is doing alright! Bpatters - I have owned rabbits for years and have not heard of a bordatella vaccination for them. Dogs can be, but rabbits do not get vaccinations unless you live in certain countries and specifically ask for them. The vets here don't do vaccinations for rabbits or pigs, but they do for almost every other mammal.