The right pellets

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:59 pm

Two other brands that do not contain calcium carbonate are Zupreem (which is timothy-based but also contain a small amount of alfalfa), and a lesser-known brand made by Sherwood Animal Health. My guys are picky; I have two who like Oxbow well enough, but the other three won't touch it. I stopped using KMS a couple of years ago when shipping rates on it went up, but I may eventually have to re-consider.

ChucklingPigs

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:22 pm

Right and sadly I think that’s why they like the vitalraft cause it tastes great just something I don’t want to give them, they are all happy and healthy just want to give a better choice of pellet for them

Sophiebaby613

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:55 pm

They'll definitely be picky with the "healthy" stuff at first. Look at it this way, seed mixes are equivalent to chips and trail mixes with the candy inside. Oxbow is more like a healthy cracker, lol. So it'll take a while for them to actually WANT to eat the oxbow pellets. Did you try following the transition instructions that are on the back of the Oxbow bag? That may help :)

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:28 pm

Actually, the best way to do it is to just take away the crappy stuff and give the good stuff. And then wait them out. They won't starve. As long as you give even the smallest amount of the crappy stuff, they will eat that and leave the other.

Phantomhorse

Post   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:28 pm

Double check the Sherwood pellets. I bought them thinking they were great, but one of my boys started having grit in his pee and he had never had an issue with calcium before. I went back and checked the bag, and the calcium a higher amount than most brands for piggos. I instantly switched him off of it, and haven't had an issue since.

Boar_experience

Post   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:03 pm

I feed mine Kaytee Timothy complete. They love the stuff and the calcium looks low to me. 0.4 minimum, 0.9 maximum.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:11 pm

Does the Kaytee product have corn in it? Do you have an ingredient list? Look over www.guinealynx.info/pellets.html for information on how to evaluate pellets.

Boar_experience

Post   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:43 pm

It's corn free. I'll try to attach a picture with the list.
How would you post a picture in the forums?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:46 pm

A .9 maximum is really high. Kaytee's not known for quality products, and they use calcium carbonate for the calcium source for their pellets. KMS Hayloft and Oxbow are much healthier choices.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:45 pm

If you have a clear crisp photo, you can email it to me.

Include a link to this thread and your board name.