Too cold to play outside?

k8c

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:22 am

It's a gorgeous day here, sunny and 55*F. I can be outside easily without a jacket. Is that really a good test for what temperature piggies prefer?

It's cage-cleaning day. I'd love for them to enjoy some outside time while that happens. But I don't want them to be too cold.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Others will have an opinion on the temperature, but I will just warn: be careful any time you take a guinea pig outside. They cannot be left unattended; should not be exposed to grasses that have been sprayed or defecated on (by wildlife or other animals); should not be allowed to eat anything potentially dangerous. Outside, there's also a chance of spider bites, parasites, etc. For me, I've always felt that the risks just aren't worth it.

WICharlie

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:50 pm

And they run like lightening! If one gets out, you are never catching it, especially if it's a young one.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:20 pm

Ditto on the running and hiding! It is super scary to have that big sky up there! {eagles!}

JX4

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:56 pm

And owls, hawks, eagles, etc. or other four-legged animals likes dogs can kill them in a flash.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:21 am

55 is way too cold, regardless. I go by if I can sit on the ground, dressed only in shorts and a Tshirt. Generally, needs to be at least 68F before they could go out (in an enclosed pen).

Phantomhorse

Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:08 am

I remember one time I took a pig out in his cage with me to clean the cage, and I had him four feet in the air, and the pig looks up and jumps into a bush! I have no clue how he didn't hurt himself, but I was terrified and snatched him instantly! I was lucky... he had stopped under the bush because he felt safe (bad human for not giving him cover) but if it was in open space I wouldn't had even gotten him back. Now I might hold them and walk out, but I don't usually do it for more than 5 min.