New pigs, no water.

Shira_A

Post   » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:04 pm

So I got 2 new male guinea pigs a few days ago. ( They are my first ever guinea pigs. ) They are pretty used to thier new cage, but they barely drink any water! I don't know if this is a serious problem or them just being nervous.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:33 pm

Some pigs drink, some don't. I've got two. One drinks three times as much as the other.

You can help ensure they're getting enough water by wetting their veggies a lot. And since they're new, make sure their hideys are close to the water bottle, or drape a cloth over the end of the cage with the bottle. Those eagles flying around in your house are mighty scary!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:39 pm

I'll move this to Cavy Chat since this does not seem like a medical issue.

If you ever have any medical questions, include the guinea pig's name in the title and post all your medical questions there.

WICharlie

Post   » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:42 pm

Are you offering water in a bowl or a water bottle? And what were they used to drinking from before they came to you? Are they baby pigs, newly removed from their mother before they came to you? The answers to these questions will help us to advise you.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:04 pm

How high off the floor is the bottle? If it is too high or too low, it can be hard for them to drink.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1