Temporary cage for quarantine

Samanthab

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:42 pm

I adopted a skinny pig a few weeks ago (he just turned 2months old) and I want to get him a friend. I have read all about quarantining the new pig, but I’m wondering what options there are for temporary cages. I have a glass aquarium I could use (I know they are not ideal, but would it be okay just for the 2 weeks of quarantine?)

I am also planning on adopting his new friend from a shelter, so is quarantine necessary? Or would 1 week be okay?

Thank you for your help! I am a new piggy owner and want the best for my new babies :)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:15 pm

Any quarantine should be for three weeks. That's long enough to prevent almost any transfer of infection, whereas many diseases have an incubation period longer than one week.

As to whether you need to quarantine, it depends on the shelter. Did they quarantine? and how? Was the pig in a separate area from other animals? And how long did they have him?

Quarantine is to protect your current pig from parasites or diseases from the new pig. Baby pigs just separated from their moms are not usually quarantined, because they're so lonely and unhappy. But skipping quarantine may mean vet bills for two pigs rather than one. Only you know if you can afford double vet bills if they get sick.

I'd rig up a temporary cage out of something else rather than use an aquarium unless the aquarium is REALLY large. If you don't have other animals around, you can use a kid's wading pool, or a really big dog crate, or get some storage cube grids and ziptie them together.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Ditto bpatters.

I would not use an aquarium. It is likely too small and won't have enough air circulation (build up of ammonia from urine can happen).