Should I grant Plucky's last wish?

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:19 am

Plucky is getting old, she's 7.5. A few months ago, when Aiko was still alive, I got a companion, thinking because Aiko was still young, she would have a buddy when Plucky died. Unfortunately, Plucky survived her even.

Bonding with Binky was a failure, they both hated his guts. Granted, he has a heart condition and petit mal, they might have felt he was ill. He acts a bit weird, although he's the sweetest. When he has petit mal, he just stands there, and they see that as being aggressive. He's not the type of pig who bonds well with others. It's his 5th home, he's here to stay, but we suspect he was rehomed for that reason at least once. But Plucky has known him now for so many months, and suddenly has a change of heart that he can be trusted.

The past week, she has been gesturing to be with him, and he was very worried about her, she has been very ill twice in a week. We discovered yesterday that her heart medications were overdosed, as she has a heart issue too since she was 2 years old, so she is doing much better now. Since she lost weight, the dosage was too high. She was already on an 1/10 th overdose of Vetmedine, which worked well, that was a tip I got from our vet. But a lot can change in a week since we last weighed her. She also got diarrhea from the overdose and lost 100g in a week, hence the overdose was way too much.

Yesterday, before we found out about the meds, we though she was dying. She wanted to go back to the cage, and before she lay down, she insisted to say goodbye to Binky at the cage wall. That baffled us.

We did not give any heart meds last evening, she's much better today. All they now do is stay close to each other. He popcorns when he sees her, they give kisses through the bars. She keeps gesturing to be with him. She always had a perfect non verbal communication with us, we are not imagining it. I am tempted to try and bond them again, although it might be too stressful for her.

Since he's no candidate to bond him with another pig after she's gone, can only stand 1 out of all types of heart meds, so that means his lifespan will be short anyway, he'a already 2 years old, would it be to stressful for him to grant his wish to try and bond? He has been nothing but kind to her through the bars all these months, although she attacked him each time we tried to bond.

Since she has a change of heart, should I try?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:09 am

I don't know. What are the outcomes that would make you feel it was a mistake to try to bond them? How would you feel if some of those outcomes came to pass?

You know your guinea pigs so well and have had guinea pigs for so long. I don't know if "visits" to partially have them spend time together would be too stressful or if trying to bond them would be too stressful. I have the feeling this is something you will have to work out yourself with your knowledge and loving heart.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:55 am

Thanks. I think she had a mild heart attack the past week, and is slowly deteriorating. She can barely walk today, and has to be forcefed since a few days. She was a bit better when I posted this topic, but is not doing well anymore since yesterday evening. She is not in any pain, just very tired, like my grandpa in his last days after a heart attack. I will give hub a chance to say goodbye after work and then take her to the vet after, as the inevitable is obvious.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:44 am

And by the looks of it, a vet visit won't even be necessary ....

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:58 am

I'm so sorry, pigjes.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:22 am

Awww, pigjes! I'm so very sorry. Rest in peace, Plucky. You are loved and missed by many.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:24 pm

Oh no. I am so very sorry.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:01 pm

I am so sorry you lost her, pigjes. You have our sympathy.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:44 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this about Plucky. 7.5 years is a grand age. Plucky will always be one of the special pigs.

Crazy4me

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:07 am

I'm so sorry! No matter how long you have them here on earth, it is never long enough.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks everyone. Gonna put an obituary in the Pigjes Piggadice thread tomorrow.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:19 pm

RIP Plucky. I'm so sorry, pigjes