I think there may be some other posts on this, but wondering if some of you have piggies with the tendency to inhale (literally) their food? Of my two rescue piggies, Pepe seems to get super excited about her veggies, and sometimes inhales them, leading to a bout of coughing. Yesterday, however, she started choking on a piece of food, and could not get it dislodged. She was sitting still and not making a sound...then started heaving, trying to get it out. My husband called me over and pointed this out, so I got her out of the cage (which normally leads to her squealing at me) without a sound. I put her on my chest and gently patted her back until she coughed up the offending morsel. Sometimes when she chokes on her food, she will keep eating - making me think she'd just suffocate and keep eating!
Does anyone have advice for future choking? She seems to be prone to it...even though I am careful not to give her any really small pieces of food.