How much floor time for piggies that live in 15 sq feet?

pigpen456

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:57 am

I have 3 females in a custom 15 square foot C&C cage. I used to have the minimum amount of space for 3 females (2x4) and knew I needed to upgrade to a larger size. With a 2x4, they had floor time everyday as the space was not very large for the 3 of them. Now that I have 15 square feet, I am wondering how much floor time should be required. I would love to get them out everyday but unfortunately not always possible.

Thoughts? How often do you let yours out?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:44 pm

15 square feet is great. I would have them out when you have time. Make it fun - hide nutritious food treats for them to find.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:59 pm

Sometimes just being somewhere different gives them exercise because they explore. I sometimes put towels on the bathroom floor and let them run around (our bathroom has nothing they can get behind except the toilet) and let them run around while I'm doing something else.

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:20 pm

That is a great question. I personally think that the bigger the living space, the less they probably need floor time. Your cage sounds wonderful. It may be more important to constantly make the cage different and more exciting for them if it is that roomy. Changing things around and switching out a variety of tunnels, hideys and such would keep them busy. Offer hay stuffed in paper bags for fun. Hide their veggies around in the cage to make them have to search for them. There's several threads on here on how to enrich a guinea pig's environment to make them happier and healthier.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:05 pm

I have two boars in a 24-square-foot living space and they are LOVING life.

Every time I clean their enclosure, I reconfigure their "playground." I have a stockpile of 1-foot sections of large-diameter pvc pipe with some connectors at different angles for making series of tunnels for them. I keep a stack of plain cardboard boxes in different dimensions. I have large swaths of cheap fleece for draping and "pooling" into snuggle spots.

They love it when I clean their space because it means they get a whole new obstacle course to explore. I do give them floor time, but it's not as necessary anymore because they get plenty of stimulation from their habitat. With them, the more stuff in there, the better, although it would drive me nuts to have so much to climb over every time I wanted to go to the other side of my house.

I can tell they are happy with it because they popcorn like crazy as soon as I step outside the pen and leave it to them. I think the more thoughtful you are with providing your little furries with some new adventures, the easier it will be to feel better about not having as much time for floor play.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:18 pm

Your guinea pigs will be so much healthier with such a large space to run around in! I'm glad they like it.