Not eating pellets?

embmartin

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:57 pm

Im new to the forum and its been a while since I've owned a pig. I just bought one for my daughter and still trying to catch up on the best info for proper care.

Our newest member Squeak doesn't seem to be eating his food that we got him (just pellets). Is this normal? Should i try a different brand or will he adjust to it? I thought he may be sick but we gave him some carrots and celery and apples and he went to town on it. Can guinea pigs survive on fresh veggies or should these only be used as treats?

Also, what vitamin C supplements are recommended? I had a cavy die of vit c deficiency when i was younger so im hyper paranoid about this.

He also doesn't seem to take much water from the bottle we gave him. It seemed easier for him when we filled a small container and let him drink from it that way. He's only 5 weeks old, could he be having a hard time with the standard rodent bottle?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:03 pm

A lot of pigs don't eat when they first come to a new home. Drape something over one end of the cage to protect him from the eagles flying around your house and put the water and food underneath. He may feel safe enough to come out.

Some pigs drink, some don't. Just be sure to give him very wet veggies until you see that he's drinking from the bottle.

Fruit has a lot of sugar, and should only be an occasional treat. Staple foods are red or green leaf lettuce and bell peppers -- the peppers have the vitamin C that he needs. Also see http://www.guinealynx.info/fave.html, but know that many of us avoid romaine because it can cause excess urinary calcium in some pigs.

Be sure you're feeding a good quality pellet. The two best brands are KMS Hayloft (available only online) and Oxbow.

You do know he needs a buddy, don't you? They always do better in pairs, but you need a large enough cage for two. Nothing you buy in a pet store qualifies.

embmartin

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:40 pm

Thanks! I do plan on getting him a companion, but wanted to adjust to caring for one before adding a second to the mix, especially as my daughter is still young and learning to handle him gently. I will definitely look into those brands and will be sure to limit fruits in the meantime.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:46 pm

You absolutely must weigh daily right now and make sure he is eating enough. And read www.guinealynx.info/diet.html too. A grass hay should be available at all times. Read www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html in case he is not eating enough.

You might want to read over www.guinealynx.info/handling.html

How old is your daughter?

embmartin

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:02 pm

My daughter will be 4 in 2 weeks. I don't have a scale that can weigh him, is there another way i can tell if he's eating enough? If i do weigh him, how do I use that info to tell that he's getting enough? Should he be gaining a certain amount every so often?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:38 pm

You need a scale. A kitchen scale that weighs up to five pounds in both ounces and grams is perfect, and they're widely available for less than $15. It's the best item you can have in your piggy medicine cabinet, as it can tell you, often before he shows symptoms, whether he has weight loss because of illness.

Your daughter is very young to have a guinea pig as a pet. Please do not let her be the one to get him out of the cage. Make sure she's seated when holding him. And when she's older, teach her to carry him with his back against her chest, one hand underneath him and one hand across his chest. We've had several guinea pigs badly injured by jumping from a child's arms.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:00 pm

Yes, four is very young. Do read over that handling page link I posted. Don't let her carry the guinea pig.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1