Amazing digestive results using Sherwood Pellets

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:07 pm

I'm mixing KMS and Sherwood pellets. Kellie doesn't seem to care for the Sherwood pellets, so they are being mixed about 1/2 with Sherwood pellets.

Cuy

Post   » Thu May 24, 2018 1:24 am

I just started my Nala on Sherwood last Saturday (she has her own medical thread ‘Gassy/GI young female’ or something similar) as we think she is probably sensitive to grain- she had a horrible GI flare-up last week so I decided to stop KMS and try Sherwood. She has been losing a little weight daily since last week but is mowing down hay every day and poops are finally looking good. She is picking at the pellets, I can’t say she loves them so I started supplementing with SARx tonight hoping to get some extra in her. I would guess she is eating 1 tbsp max of pellets a day so I’m hoping that’s enough but she is eating a lot more hay than she used to when she was on KMS. I appreciate hearing everyone’s experience with this food, it’s very encouraging! If anyone has any suggestions about how they got their pigs to come around, I would love to hear them.

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Thu May 24, 2018 12:58 pm

Definitely remaining quite skeptical of the magical results....wish there were more citations behind the claimed benefits by the manufacturer. I have a hunch that if the long-term effecfs were to be studied there would be too many confounding factors (pellet intake before/after, overall diet changes at the same time of pellet switch, etc.) muddying the data.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu May 24, 2018 3:04 pm

Exactly, TheCageCleaner.

We're seeing all these anecdotal reports from untrained observers based on a manufacturer's claims that he does not substantiate with scientific data. Color me VERY skeptical of these results.

Cuy

Post   » Thu May 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Yes, I was reticent to switch from KMS after Nala’s first GI flare-up in February due to the lack of data and the concern about the calcium situation. My first two guineas both ate Oxbow and KMS with no problems. I am going in to this Sherwood ‘experience’ out of desperation and hoping for the best- so far she is tolerating it fine but like I said up top, she IS eating fewer pellets than before. She would not be a good study specimen at all, true, CageCleaner, as she had a complete diet overhaul at this time anyway and that’s probably the case for a lot of pigs or rabbits making the switch. I also wish there were more citations but am trying to make the best out of a rough situation.

jatean

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:03 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to see how people are feeling about Sherwood food now. Have there been any real studies on it's safety?

We tried one bag of Sherwood pellets in order to get away from the soy, wheat and sugar of the Oxbow. Our 4 yr old boar died from kidney stones 3 months after that bag was finished.

I haven't taken the time to add up the calcium amounts, but wondering if it's generally equal levels of calcium between a diet of Oxbow, romaine and red leaf lettuces, peppers, all timothy hay..... or a diet of red or green leaf only lettuce, peppers, orchard grass and some timothy hay with Sherwood pellets. (orchard has less calcium, red and green leaf have less calcium than romaine)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:04 pm

Going by the numbers may not give the whole picture. Fresh greens sometimes have oxalic acid which can affect how calcium is processed.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:29 pm

Echoing Jatean’s question - anyone who has been using these pellets for a while have any issues long-term?

I just read about these pellets today and am wondering if they could help my 1 yr old boar who has had extremely gritty pee for the past few months. He has occasional blood in his pee for which the vets can find no cause, I’m wondering if it’s irritation from the grit. I’m willing to try just about anything that will get him to drink more and flush his bladder.

SSLee

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:20 pm

My two girls finished one bag of Sherwood pellets and just started a second bag. The piggies switched to the Sherwood ones with no problem but because I still have several pounds of Oxbow, I mix the two together. I also tried to decrease the veggies but haven't always been successful. Around the same time, I changed from paper bedding to fleece and noticed some grit, which were likely hidden before in the paper bedding. One of the girls, Birdy, is eating a lot more hay and drinking more water. Her sister, Lily, has not increased her water intake. Lily has a much harder time at the water bottle and does not seem to drink properly. I wonder if a bowl would be better for Lily but I don't want poop to get into her water bowl or water spillage. I cannot tell which piggy or both has the gritty pee. Although I am happy with Sherwood's no soy or grain factor, the alfalfa part makes me a little uncomfortable and I am new to piggies.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:39 pm

It is definitely the alfalfa that gives me pause, but I wonder if they are eating half the pellets, does the calcium content balance itself out?

I noticed on Sherwood’s website that my previous vet in Seattle is endorsing and even sells the products. I ordered a sample and plan to take it to my vet here in NC to see what she thinks as well (while we’re getting one last X-ray for stones).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:31 pm

To balance out, he would have to eat the same amount of calories of another food that had no calcium. So no, I don't think you can say it balances out.

Best to evaluate the whole diet.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:55 pm

Sherwood pellets DO balance themselves, but in different way than what you are thinking. They do so through the DCAB (Dietary Cation Anion Balance). Calcium problems are caused due to a buildup and stones. Calcium is a positively charged ion normally which means it needs an equal amount of negative ions in the bladder to break it down. Sherwood pellets have enough of these ions to do so.

According to the website this is the negative ions they use:
Chloride
Phosphate
Sulfate

Too much of a positively charged ion can lead to sludge. Sherwood balances this too.

According to the website this is the positive ions they use:
Calcium
Potassium
Magnesium
Sodium
Zinc

Yes this is more but there is an equal amount of each quantity-wise.

Because of these ions Sherwood pellets can keep your guinea pig from having a major building of sludge and stone and some pigs even have a lack of calcium completely in their urine and bladder. If you become a part of the Sherwood forum, they have a 'Sherwood University' part of the program which thoroughly explains how the pellets work (even more than the actual Sherwood Shop).

They do not recommend adding any other Alfalfa to your pigs diet because the pellets have the perfect balance to cancel the amount of alfalfa in it, adding more alfalfa throws off this balance and leads to more calcium problems