Question about Hay

Gesyca_is_joy

Post   » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:16 pm

I have the option to buy a large amount of 3rd cutting Timothy Hay (50lbs) but am unsure how long hay can be stored? i have hay bale bag that i store the hay in today, if i bought 50lb i would probably keep one bag in the house and one in the garage.thoughts?

kailaeve1271

Post   » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:36 pm

I’ve kept a bale of timothy hay for my rabbits in a shed for almost 6 months now with no problem but I do keep it in a large storage container to prevent mold. I feed my guinea pigs oxbow hay however due to allergies and that’s kept indoors in a bag and I run out before it ever goes bad

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:52 pm

Hay retains its nutritional value for up to two years. It's fine if stored in a dry place and has air circulation.

Gesyca_is_joy

Post   » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:39 pm

Thanks, i have bale bags i use to store hay (they are half bale size but i accidentally bought 2) i use Small Pet Select 3rd Cutting "Super Soft" Timothy Hay Pet Food and they really love it, they are running through this a lot faster than the 2nd cutting hay they previously got so I was excited for a chance to buy it in bulk.

although the idea of buying 50lbs of hay for 2 little guinea pigs is highly entertaining to my husband! :)

4 posts • Page 1 of 1