Play Yard

Duffshuman

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:44 am

I finally got Duff's playpen put together but he figured out how to slip through the small 1"x1" holes!!!! So I boarded it with 2"high cardboard but he is now 7 weeks old and figured out how go out through the third row of holes. Did I make a mistake in getting cubes with 1" holes? Do I need to get something else with smaller openings?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:29 am

You could try doubling the grids in such a way that the openings will be smaller, then zip-tie them together so you have 1/2 " openings instead.

Otherwise, wait a few weeks and he'll be too big to slip through. Mine went through lickety split, too, so I didn't have any luck keeping the babies separated. The 6" coroplast worked for keeping them inside the cage, thank goodness!

Duffshuman

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:46 am

Thank you GrannyJu1, that is a great idea! I have enough leftover panels and zip ties to do a smaller grid so I'll get that done this weekend.

greysome

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:36 pm

Baby piggies are such lil goobers! I miss when my Ellie Roo was still a tiny thing--one thing I will mention is that zip tying the grids together to baby proof can be frustrating (at least it was for me but I was also doing it for a cage that would be big enough for 4 piggies living together) and even after Duff outgrows the need for babyproofing, you may be inclined to leave the babyproofed grids together after all the effort put into tying them together (I say as I look at the still doubled grids I told myself I would remove months ago). Still, cavies can beg and whine for attention just as easily through babyproofed grids as they can through regular grids. The perk, I've noticed, is that they don't try so hard to try and smush their face through the smaller grids to get at the food you're holding outside the cage

M1dn1ght

Post   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:43 pm

I solved this problem by draping old blankets over the top of the play yard. I just overlapped them so they cover all the holes and tucked the bottoms under the lowest rung between the wire and the floor. When mine were big enough to stay inside, I just washed the blankets and put them away.

Duffshuman

Post   » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:44 pm

Oh that's a good idea M1dn1ght, thank you