Is this a dominance thing?

xtina0926

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:04 pm

Hello,
I have 4 guinea pigs, 3 girls and 1 boy. More specifically, a mommy pig and 3 babies. They all have floor time each day together and they like to run around the living room and explore. I am not sure if this is a dominance thing, but the babies (who are 6 months old now) chase after the mom and circle around her. They don't do this all together, for example, one baby follows the mom until their in a corner and they just circle around each other. The babies never do this to one another, its only to the mom. The mommy pig gets sorta irritated too, I was just wondering what they could be doing?

I hope I did a halfway decent job of explaining this, as I was just curious.
Thank you!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:09 pm

It's called a piggy train, and it's totally normal.

But if you're letting an unneutered male run around with three females, you're going to have very inbred pups. It takes about three seconds for a male to impregnate a female, and you could sneeze and miss it.

xtina0926

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:15 pm

We got him fixed. Also we didn't know the mom pig was pregnant when we adopted her. No more piggy babies for us :)
Thank you for your reply!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:20 pm

Good for you!

JX4

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:55 am

Be aware that you must wait at least 3 to 4 weeks after neutering before you can put the male back in with the females. Apparently guinea pig sperm is one of the hardiest substances on the planet because it can live in the "ductwork" for that long after the testicles are gone. And during that time they can still impregnate females.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:29 am

Maybe the younger ones are doing it because they are missing their mom-pup relationship?

xtina0926

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:13 pm

I know this is late but thanks for all the replies <3!