Replacing lettuce

kailaeve1271

Post   » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:08 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong but from what I’m reading it would be a good replacement. I’d have to introduce my guinea pigs to it just to make sure but I think it would work. Plus any that I harvest early that start to go bad I could always bake into treats :) thank you! Did you just plant them in gardens nearby trees for shade or was their another tactic?

LittleSqueakers

Post   » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:57 pm

My mom's kind of the horticulturalist in my family. But as I remember, she planted them in a small garden plot right against the treeline to the woods. They were shaded from the morning sun by the woods behind them, got a little more sun in the afternoon hours, and then were kind of shaded during the hottest part of the day by some more trees opposite. I think we had a small dogwood or two growing on either side of the garden box too that probably gave them a little shelter.

Something important I should mention though: the little gem variety of lettuce didn't ever grow very big. It won't be a typical lettuce-head type crop that you wait until it's fully-grown and then harvest it. It's more like a little lettuce that we would harvest a few leaves from each one and they would steadily put out more. Kind of like a spring-mix type of young lettuce. It should provide a fairly consistent supply if you do it this way, but depending on how many pigs you're trying to feed, you may need to plant quite a few of them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:11 am

Greens are supposed to be super good for humans, too! I have started buying bags of inexpensive spinach from Kroger (10 oz for $1.59) and munching on it or laying it down in a bowl and putting other salad type things on it. Though spinach is higher in calcium and not appropriate for some guinea pigs, it is fine for us.

We need a gardening sticky thread with pictures!

kailaeve1271

Post   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:56 am

Okay! I'm now off in search of a nice shaded spot for my lettuce. Thank you!

Lynx, that would be a brilliant idea! I personally love lettuce, and bok choy. Bok choy, kale and spinach are generally easy leafy greens to grow right now, if you'd like to try gardening yourself. I love gardening. If I'm not with my pets or doing something for my pets, I'm usually tending to my plants outside! It's definitely a passion that should be spread to others and it would be nice, if there was an area on here to get each others opinions and advice on that as well

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:57 am

I have a neighbor who used to run an organic gardening business. Since she got a part time job, I think this is no longer her focus but she still teaches about organic gardening. I got couple hoops from her and some plastic suitable for starting early plants. I have to set up an enriched area for this though. She used shade cloth to extend the growing time for greens and to keep bitty bugs off.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:25 pm

We have a large fenced in raised garden beds by my house. Just make sure if you do a raised be it have a little bit of area for drainage or a heavy grain can kill your plants. I’ll definitely have to try to get some shade cloth. Deer jump the fence and eat some of it. I think that man help stop them and the bugs

MariusMum

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:47 pm

I'm growing veggies for my pig too. What kind of lettuce is 2.50 a head?!