A bloat fix?

kailaeve1271

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:25 am

So I rehabilitate rabbits occasionally and I had a bloat scare with my most recent baby. Here is the thread on BinkyBunny where I explained everything:
https://www.binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/ ... fault.aspx
Now to keep things simple I was out of gas drops and had to DIY a baby food mixture to flush out its system. I don’t know the exact measurements since I was in a rush, but here is what I used: Banana, pumpkin extract, water. It was all mashed to slugged and placed in a syringe to force feed. 4 days later I have a happy, healthy bunny with no sign of bloat.
I don’t know if this would work for piggies, but I wanted to put it out there just in case. Has anyone tried a similar with a guinea pig and had success?

I’m genuinely curious because if it could work and it’s not already common guinea pig knowledge that I missed out on, then I feel it may help a lot of people with a similar issue

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:42 am

Banana has sometimes caused complications. That combination is not one I would recommend (though canned/cooked pumpkin is pretty good).

What we currently have is here:
www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

kailaeve1271

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:02 am

Ah okay. Like I said this was a wild kit. It’s hard to find things that they can actually eat that will help so I put it out there. They already have a high death rate and I know bloat is one of the big causes of that
Last edited by kailaeve1271 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:04 am

This is a learning process for me still when it comes to piggy medical issues. I’m still with my first pair of pigs :)
And vets usually won’t take them to write prescriptions so it’s hard to get a hold of medications

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:16 pm

Just a bit of banana info that some may not know:
The greener the banana peel, the more the banana will constipate.
The riper the banana peel, the better the banana is digested and often used to get things moving along (laxative for animals).
A banana that's peel is pretty much all brown, is used as a laxative for humans (caution with animals).
Same fruit, two totally different results. Be sure to always state ripeness of a banana when referencing the fruit.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:01 pm

Oh okay! It was yellow but speckling with quite a bit of brown. Thank you for informing me of this!