Bullying or Dominance?

tallyf

Post   » Mon May 21, 2018 9:45 pm

Hi there,

Proud Mama of two male piggies, Oreo and Punkin. They’ve lived together very well for two years now, but in the last two months Punkin has started climbing on Oreo’s head. At first he did it when time to eat as if Punkin wanted to be fed first. Pick me! Pick me! Even though I fed them at the same time in separate bowls. Lately Punkin has started climbing on Oreo’s head more. Oreo tries to toss him off. They don’t fight and Oreo seems more annoyed than getting hurt. What could be causing this sudden change in Punkin? Why climb on Oreo’s head. He’s not climbing on any other part of his body. I’m a bit worried as I don’t want Oreo to end of with a wounded eye or something. I should also note that Punkin bit me for the first time ever. So overall Punkin seems to have developed a bad attitude or something. Any advice would be appreciated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 8:37 am

How large is the cage? What type of bedding? Could you visually separate the two eating areas? Some people make fringed fleece dividers so one guinea pig can't see the other. Perhaps have each food area separated? Switch up the cage some and see if that helps at all. Perhaps reward Oreo for being located a little further away. Don't have to food areas close to your side.

Also, evaluate them for health issues. Check to see nobody's scratching or showing any signs of illness. Do you weigh them weekly?

tallyf

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 12:09 pm

The cage size is 2.5 X 5. I use the Carefresh paper bedding. And yes I have two food bowls and two water bottles and they are each on opposite ends of the cage respectively. I will check them over to look for signs of illness, but I haven't noticed any other changes in either of them. They definitely have very opposite personalities as Punkin like to run and play and can't seem sit still for long, while Oreo is lazy and rather sleep. But like I said they've been getting a long great for two years now despite their differences until this change in Punkin by climbing on Oreo's head. He gets right on top of Oreo's face. . . .

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 9:46 pm

How about put a couple open sided stools in the cage to make it harder to climb on Oreo.