Bagasse bedding

dribble

Post   » Thu May 31, 2018 2:25 pm

I'm buying paper products from a company called Who Gives a Crap which uses bamboo and bagasse instead of wood pulp or recycled content for toilet tissue, facial tissue and paper towels. Has anyone found a manufacturer of animal bedding using bagasse? In my pig cages I use one of several brands of paper/pelletized small animal beddings under cage blankets and wanted to find out if anyone has heard of a company in the U.S. using bagasse for bedding. There are links to unreliable sources on the web, but I definitely don't want to be a trailblazer on something as important as this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagasse

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu May 31, 2018 3:54 pm

My concern about it is whether or not it is sweet. Guinea pigs very readily take to sweet stuff, but they're not designed to process sugar well, and it can upset the bacterial balance in the gut.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 31, 2018 5:17 pm

I would think one method of figuring out if there is any residual sugar in the product (if you can find a bedding using it) is to chew on it.

I am into testing items that are likely to be non-poisonous (bedding would likely fall into that category).

dribble

Post   » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:37 pm

If I ever find anything, I'll grab a sample and send one to you, Lynx. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:45 pm

The Lynx Laboratory is open for business!