Red and green leaf lettuce

Rosekiss55

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Hi, i have three pairs of boars (all adopted) and i have always fed my piggies a variety of fresh veggies every day, ensuring they have vit c and not too much calcium. The last pair i adopted quite recently and are leaving quite a lot of white powdery deposits on their fleece bedding. Its not gritty but i need to adjust their diet before it becomes a problem.

I have always used romaine lettuce with my piggies without any problems, a leaf every other day. I dont mean to sound stupid but what types of lettuce is meant by red and green leaf lettuce? There is a limited stock at my super market you see and it would be helpful if i know what i needed to switch to.

Many thanks in advance.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:06 pm

Red and green leaf lettuces are just different types of lettuce, like romaine or butterhead.

Romaine causes some pigs to excrete excess urinary calcium, but others are not bothered by it. If it bothers your pigs, try another kind.

But, your current pigs may continue to excrete it no matter what they eat. Some pigs are just prone to it, and you can't make enough dietary changes to keep them from it.

Rosekiss55

Post   » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:44 am

Ok, thank you very much