Any Major Differences in Male/Female Care?

hcornetto

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:57 pm

Hello Guinea Lynx,

Over the past ten years, we have been home for 6 male piggies. Recently, a shelter near us reached out for assistance. We offered to foster as we had space. We were given two female piggies to foster.

We've never had females before, and thought we might reach out here - Are there any major differences in care between male and female piggies? I'd appreciate any feedback or advice!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:05 am

None except that sows don't need to have anal sacs and penis sheaths cleaned. They do come into heat about every 14-16 days, and some of them develop pretty pronounced piggy PMS, but others are unfazed.

Enjoy them!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:09 am

I had both for many years. I agree on some having obvious piggie PMS. Besides keeping an eye on ovarian cysts, there is no difference.
https://www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html

JX4

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:04 pm

No anal sacs or penis sheaths to clean on females. Neutered males don't need their sacs cleaned either.

We have had 6 females and none of them have had obvious signs of PMS -- except while going through puberty between 6 and 18 months. Then a couple of them were very moody and irritating, but they have mellowed now.