Young Female Guinea Pig Abscess! I need help!

Henry and Cel

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:19 pm

I have two beautiful guinea pigs named Henry and Celestine (both female). Celestine, the younger female piggy, has had struggles with abscesses. She first had an abscess that was lanced and drained and healed but a new one has grown back. The abscess is on her chin/neck area and is quite large. I have no exotic vet close to me so I have been going to my local vet who said they would take her in.

They told me she would need surgery because it has a hard capsule that when lanced and drained will continue to fill up over and over. The vet told me that it is a dangerous area to perform surgery. They also said it was quite large and I am currently giving her baytril to try and reduce the size before surgery. I know there are many risks for surgery and anesthesia for guinea pigs and I am very nervous about it.

I have never experienced something like this and I am a teenager who is not in control of all the decisions. There is an exotic vet an hour away from me that seems to have experience with guinea pigs but my parents want to use the local vet. What should I do about this situation? Should I go through with the surgery with a vet who doesn't have much experience and hope for the best? Is surgery the best option?

I am really lost here and do not want to lose my baby. The vet is acting like they can do it and there is already a date set near the end of july. Although the vet is acting confident in a way I feel they really haven't seen guinea pigs much if at all for this kind of thing.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:50 pm

Please don't make duplicate posts. People who read the forums read all the new posts, so one will take care of it.

Also, you only get ONE medical thread per pig. Please keep all posts about your pig on that thread in the medical forum. I'll close this one.