Advice needed on rescue situation

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi all,

I do not run a rescue myself but we are set up to foster and transport piggies for a few local organizations. Yesterday I walked into one of the major pet store chains as I was shopping in the same plaza, only to find a tiny baby male pig for sale with an obvious eye issue. The left eye was crusted shut and the right had signs of discharge. I'm no stranger to the fact that pet store pigs are usually born sick, but this really caught my attention. The poor baby was in a fishtank sized enclosure with another male, and when I came up to get a closer look, he didn't run away but instead started sniffing and licking at the glass.

I'm well aware that purchasing him outright would just be another sale for the store and another sick piggie would be sent to replenish their stock...I'm wondering now if there's any way to get in touch with their management and ask to adopt him if he doesn't sell so that he can get the right medical attention and find an experienced owner. Is it worth trying?

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:08 pm

I would get hold of animal control and tell them that they are trying to sell sick animals. Talking to management will be a lesson in futility. I know, I've been there. They will only get mad at you and swear up and down that the pig is healthy. If you did manage to get the pig given to you, they will think nothing of just sticking out another sick pig. You won't be able to keep up.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:26 pm

Unfortunately, the longer an ill guinea pig goes without being treated, the worse the outcome is likely to be. Very young guinea pigs are quite vulnerable.

samim21

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:32 pm

If it's a pet store that's a big chain, do let an employee (a manager or a few) know. It's a hard set rule that if an employee notices a guinea pig has an ear or eye issue, they will see a vet that day (speaking from experiences working at such a place in the past...would not recommend). If in a big corporate pet store, they do nothing upon request, contact corporate. I know it's annoying, but it WILL make a difference.

If it's a small local pet store,you can contact the USDA and report it at this phone number: (301) 851-3751 (in the US)

Here's the ASPCA site with all the good info: https://www.aspca.org/take-action/report-animal-cruelty