Absolute disaster

cea2001

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:27 am

You´ll have to excuse me - I´m posting after half a bottle of chardonnay (needed it to steady my nerves)

Put pigs out in their outside run (made of cubes) - boys in one side, girls the other, just like every other day. Went inside to watch a DVD. Came out an hour later. All three adult boars had somehow clawed their way under the cube and coroplast divider and were merrily munching grass with the girls.

*Insert profanity here*

All six girls are under a year (just - some of them, although both the oldest ones have had litters before). What worries me is that some of them are related - ie. there were mothers, fathers, uncles, brothers, sisters, daughters in that run. If none of them were in season, then there´s no problem. However, the chances of one of the six girls being in heat is reasonably high. Do the negative effects of inbreeding show in one generation?

I feel terrible. I´ve had male and female pigs here for over a year, no mishaps, and then this happens. I had no intention of this breeding. If - if - babies result, I will do my damndest to find good homes for them, of course.

Added to this, my brother (whom I share the house with) is making noises about ´How those animals should be kept outside´). Time for a rethink of housing, perhaps.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:38 am

I think you have a good chance of healthy pups, but I´d invest in a new run.

cea2001

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:41 pm

Tell me about it! The cubes cage would be fine, if I hadn´t put it over a slight depression in the ground (invisible to the naked eye). I know it sounds like I´m making excuses, but that´s how it happened.

cea2001

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:43 pm

By the way, I meant new housing for me, not for the pigs...

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:25 pm

If you´re lucky, maybe nobody was in heat. It does sound horrible. A good reason for me to only stick with one sex.

pigpal

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:38 pm

Yeah, Lynx we love you just the way you are. Don´t change a thing!

Jill

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:09 pm

oh, Pigpal, that was good for several guffaws.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:17 pm

Don´t encourage her. There has been waaaay too much hillarity on this most serious board.

When my daughter was young, every stuffed animal she had was a girl. It was as though the guys didn´t even exist. It was tough explaining to her that she had a sweet and loving father....(in the house) and that he did in fact belong in the guy classification -- same as her brother.
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:21 pm

Yikes! Well, accidents happen. I hope no one was in heat. And I really, really, really hope not all six were in heat. You are aware that could mean over 30 babies, right? LOL

Ok, I´ll shut up, now.

pinta

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:29 pm

You can check to see if they were in heat. The genital opening to the vagina is sealed with a mucous "plug" when they aren´t in heat. Looks like seamless skin - whe they are in heat the mucous seal dissolves - usually from the centre outward. There is a strong chance that either they were all in heat - or none were. It´s been my observation that sows in a group tend to cycle at the same time.

bats

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:02 pm

> It´s been my observation that sows in a group tend to cycle at the same time.

Which also accounts for the periodic flare-ups on this board too ;-)

imanut4u

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:11 pm

You´re a snarky lil thing aren´t ya?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:35 pm

Yes, but what about the ooold ones? You need a theory that works all of the time vs. some of the time. Or do you think we dried up hags get pms too?

Becky

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:43 pm

PMS? Us??? NEVER!

pinta

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:19 pm

Bats, did it ever occur to you that we were just a bunch of bitches ALL the time.

Which leads me to wonder aloud....what´s your excuse?

bats

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:24 pm

My six-pack lacks the plastic thingy that holds it all together.

pinta

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:25 pm

Your corset?

bats

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:52 am

Nope. My T-H-O-N-G.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 1:13 am

All four of mine tend to go one day after another, day before yesterday was Lita, she was rumbling everyone, yesterday was lexie, and today Oreo, I´m sure tomorrow Jillian will decide it´s her turn. Hopefully none or only one of your females was in season, or maybe your boars were too interested in the grass to care?! Good Luck!

cea2001

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:43 am

Thirty pigs - oh my giddy aunt! Thanks a lot, Erin!

Oh well, what´s done is done. I´m about to go and check the girls, like you suggested Pinta. Fingers crossed.

Why do they call it PMS?
Because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

*Snort*

38 posts