Housing two dominant boars

Fitzpatrs1

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:05 am

Hi all!

I am seeking some advice on housing and bonding for my boars. I currently have two, two year old boars living separately in side by side cages. They do not get along at all, have had several aggressive fights when attempting to rebond them, and consistently teeth chatter at each other through the cage bars. They non stop scent mark inside and outside of the cage. The aggression is relentless.

However, I feel bad having them live separately because guinea pigs are social animals. I would like to get two addition baby boars and house one with each of them. The problem is, I'm worried that they will not get along and then I will end up with 4 seperate cages with aggressive, stinky scented guinea pigs!

I have heard sows behave much better, but am nervous to have my boars neutered.

Please help me! I just want my piggies to be happy! Thanks in advance.

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:23 am

This should be in Cavy Chat, not placement. The placement section is for pigs that need homes or for people who want to acquire pigs.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:37 am

I moved it.

How large is the cage you're trying to put them in?

How old are the pigs?

JX4

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:49 am

Neutering won't affect the boars' personalities or aggression at all. All neutering does is remove the possibility of babies when placed with females.

Neutering will help with the stinkiness of "boar fume" though. And there won't be any sacs to drag the ground to get stuff up inside them. At two years old they are full grown so neutering won't keep them the same size as full grown females, which could prove scary to young sows if the boars keep trying to mount and chase them. Our sows are the same size as the neutered boar we have since we neutered him before he was full grown. So when he's in the mood and they aren't, they don't have any qualms about saying "no" as forcefully as they need to to get the message across. With a huge size disparity between a full grown boar and a baby or not full grown sow, that could be scary for the sow. Even a full grown sow is not nearly as big as a full grown boar.

After neutering, the boars need to be kept away from sows for about a month as sperm can still live in the ductwork and therefore babies are still possible.

After that, you could try them out with sows at a rescue or humane society to see if they are too aggressive with them or not.

Fitzpatrs1

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:51 pm

Thank you! Sorry I am new to the forum, still trying to figure out how everything works.

Both my boars are around 2 years old and are both kept in seperate C&C cages. The cages are both 2 x 3 grids.

Since it seems placing them with sows will be scary for the sows, I am leaning towards getting baby boars for their companionship.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:12 pm

I wouldn't do that. You may only be setting yourself up for two sets of fighting boars when the little ones reach puberty.

If you've been putting them together in a 2x3 cage, it's not nearly large enough. In fact, it's not large enough for one boar, much less two. Lack of a space is a major reason for guinea pig aggression.

I doubt that placing them with sows would be scary for the sows. In many sow-boar pairings that I know of, the sow is the dominant pig. And sow-boar pairings usually work very well.

I'd suggest trying to put them together again. Enlarge the cage to maximum size, and clean it thoroughly so it doesn't smell anything like either pig. Take out all one-door hideys, or cut another door in them. Hang some fleece forests to break up the sight lines in the cage. Put a hay pile and a water bottle at each end.

See this for the bible on guinea pig introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html. Don't put any hideys in the large neutral area you're introducing them in, and put several piles of food around. Do it at a time when you've got hours to give to it -- it's not a process that should be rushed. I never put new pigs together in the cage until they're all so tired they lie down for a nap in the neutral area.

Bathe them together before you put them in the cage, and put a tiny drop of vanilla on each nose. That way they'll both smell the same, and it may defuse some squabbling.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1