Entertainment

samim21

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:30 am

Hi again,

I'd like to make some new toys for my piggies. I work full time, so I need to make some things they can have fun with sans constant supervision. I know a lot of places recommend cardboard boxes, brown paper bags and tp rolls with hay in them, but I am concerned about them eating the cardboard. Should I be? Is it ok for them to chew on cardboard?

Any other ideas for things I could make would be great. They currently have willow tunnels (which they love), a few wooden chews, pinecones (which they don't care about), soft things to lay on, pigloos, hidey towels, and mirrors. They seem a little bored, though, so I'd like to spice things up for them. Though, they might just be hot. The weather has been pretty humid and warm recently.

Creative and safe toy ideas welcome!!! :)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:52 am

I would not worry about them eating the cardboard unless you are using boxes that toxic substances could have been sprayed on them or transported inside them.

samim21

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:35 pm

Ok. I KNOW Philly will absolutely chew up any cardboard I put in there, but if it's not going to hurt her, I'll definitely give her some TP tubes with hay stuffed in them :)

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:48 pm

My one word of caution on boxes is remove any tape, or make sure it is piggy safe.

The Piggy we lost had started to chew on the black tape they use on Amazon boxes (we had one that we had cut as a hidey) shortly before she fell ill. It woudl not have had anything to do with the serious URI she had but the vet also said she had some sort of mass in her stomach as well and I suspect that may have been the cause. Cant say for sure but maybe it was too tough or maybe it was the glue or dyes they use. I pulled it out when I spotted her munching on it but she had already eaten a bunch of it.

May not be related at all but I wont be taking the risk with it again.

We cut TP tubes in to rings and then made balls out of them that we would put hay in and they seemed to like that.

One of the links I saw from a user here, Pigjes, suggested "Treat eggs" or "Treat Balls"

They are included in this thread along with other entertainment ideas
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74393

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Good warning on tape. It's like piggy crack!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:21 pm

Be sure to slice any tubes lengthwise so a guinea pig cannot get stuck in them.

Some have.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:44 pm

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:01 pm

Oh, a great topic! Glad you are here to remind me of it!

ItsaZoo

Post   » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:52 pm

If you have access to an apple tree and corn husks you can make apple sticks with strips of corn husk tied around the. I wash the apple branches with a veggie brush and I don’t use any sprays on the tree. Then I tear the inner corn husks into strips, wrap them around the branch and tie them. Yum!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:36 pm

Referencing my earlier advice to make sure you cut any cardboard rolls you put in the cage:

rjespicer

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:36 pm

I know I shouldn't laugh but that is an interesting take on "Pigs in Blankets" ;)

samim21

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:09 pm

omg...I'll cut the tubes for sure LOL...Poor piggy!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:59 pm

Yes, that was my Nina. I took that picture quite a few years ago and always cut tubes from then on out!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:18 am

Seeing that photo certainly taught ME to cut the tubes, hahaha!

14 posts • Page 1 of 1