Needing Help With A Rescue Piggie

ThePiggieHerd

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Hey everyone this is my first post so I’m not sure if it is in the right location... but I’m hoping someone can help me understand what I need to do!! I currently have 4 female piggies who are all doing amazing in a 2 x6 and a 2 x5 atached c & c cage. I have the option to get a piggie from a friend of a friend within the next few weeks who will be a male and I plan on adding him to the herd of piggies I currently have!! My question is after I get him of course he will have to be in a separate cage and I will have to get him neutered and wait a month before introducing him to my herd, but when should I set up a appointment to get him neutered I wasn’t sure if you have to wait a few weeks after you get them or if you can do it right after you get them... I didn’t know if this added more stress to them more than getting a new home!! Thank in advance for the advice

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:12 pm

Welcome!

I'm not sure there's a way to know what would be best. The sooner you neuter him, the sooner he can go in with his harem, and I'm sure he'd be pleased about that. But waiting a little would give him a chance to get used to you before the trauma of surgery.

I think I'd wait on the surgery until I knew he was settling in well in a new home -- eating, coming out of his hideys, etc. The surgery will throw him out of his eating routine, and you wouldn't want to upset that apple cart if you could help it. But I wouldn't wait weeks.

And for his sake, I'd consider keeping him in a separate room from the ladies until you're ready to introduce them. If he can smell them, he may be pretty frantic to get to them.

Do make sure you use a good exotic vet who has had lots of experience with GP neuters. It's a somewhat different procedure than that for a dog or cat, and you want someone who knows what they're doing.

ThePiggieHerd

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:14 pm

Thank you so much I’m glad I won’t have to wait weeks considering I have to keep them separated after the surgery for a month!!