Greasy fur?

samim21

Post   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:46 am

Hi again,

I've noticed over the past couple weeks that my 4ish (possibly 5, not super sure how old she is) year old guinea pig, Philly, has had some greasy fur. She usually has a really soft coat, but lately it looks a little greasy. I gave her a bath about two/three weeks ago, so I don't really want to bathe her again. She also looks a little thinner than about a month ago (still have to weigh her), but that is probably because it's been a bit stressful lately (lost her old cagemate, got a new guinea pig, exercise change, slight diet change (i.e. changed from spring mix to green leaf lettuce, less fruit, added vitamin C treats). I was wondering if anyone might know why her fur is getting kinda greasy? It's not smelly or SUPER oily, just different from before.

It's also been SUPER humid these last few months, so that might be it? Any thoughts on what I should do (if anything) would be good.

Also, thoughts on helping her to gain a little weight again if her weight is too low when I weigh her today would be helpful.

I think she's just been stressed a bit by all the changes over the past month, but just wanted to see what y'all think.

Also she doesn't have any other concerning symptoms that I've noticed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:01 am

Try a Nizoral shampoo (treats fungal infections). Get a scale today. You really must start weighing! It is one of the best ways of catching issues early.

Pay attention to the grease gland to see if this is localized. Read over:
grooming.html
weigh.html

samim21

Post   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:20 am

Thanks! I'm not super sure about the shampoo; it warns against using it on any animals but dogs, cats and horses. I'll give her a wash with the small animal shampoo we have right now, though, and I'll check her gland. And the weekly weigh-in begins today :)
Last edited by samim21 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:23 am

Don't expect her to gain back the lost weight. If she does, great, but the older the pig is, the more difficult it is to help them gain lost weight back.

Greasy coat: have no clue except what Lynx posted above.

Good luck with her and do weight daily or at least weekly. Easiest way to help her maintain her weight.

samim21

Post   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:31 am

She's not like, skin and bones or anything, just less chunky than she used to be. I'll work on maintaining her weight though for sure. She's no spring chicken, but I want to do my best to make her older years (hopefully years) good ones.

samim21

Post   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:14 pm

Turns out she’s exactly the same weight she’s always been. I’m just dumb lol

Crisis averted and bathtime imminent

samim21

Post   » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:29 pm

https://photos.app.goo.www.guinealynx.info/

Post-bath fluff! I did actually get the niazol. Doesn’t look like she has fungus but if it was starting that’ll at least stop it before it’s noticable!

unicornbaby

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:13 am

Hey, I'm new to this whole guinea pig care taking stuff, however, I had two guinea pigs in the past; both females. I'm just wondering if there is any homemade shampoo recipes. The city I live in only has vet clinics for dogs and cats and I went to a vet clinic once and the staff there suggested to use puppy shampoo but I was hesitant. I really need help, my babies are dirty and I guess greasy :(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:15 pm

Look over this page for some suggestions:
www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html