Suggestions and Help

Lulu Jane

Post   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:05 am

I am looking for 2 or 3 guinea pigs to rescue. I don't have any now, so any rescue organization suggestions around the Los Angeles area? Any tips on food, housing, treats, and play time is appreciated. I was planning on letting them be free range when someone is closely supervising, as I have cats (even though they will never be in the same room as the cats). But when no one is home I was planning on keeping them in a cat-proof 50+ sq feet indoor playpen. Is that too small? Other suggestions, please. Thank you.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:49 am

As far as a nearby rescue, definitely contact LA Guinea Pig Rescue. They are an excellent rescue and not too long ago rescued 100s of guinea pigs from a hoarding situation:

https://www.laguineapigrescue.com/

Lulu Jane

Post   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:41 am

Thanks, I'll look into them. Does anyone think I should feed them pellets, hay, and veggies? Or should I stick to just hay and veggies?

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:12 pm

All 3. They need good quality pellets for the Vitamin C. We use Oxbow but I know a number of people also like KMS. Based on what I have been told you should avoid the pellets with seeds and other bits in.

Check the info here

https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

Lulu Jane

Post   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:07 pm

Should I buy hay blocks? In addition to hay grass of course, but does anyone think hay blocks are beneficial or not? Any toy or treat recommendations?

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:20 pm

Lulu Jane, welcome to Guinea Lynx! Start off reading through the medical care guide on basic care and diet. It will help you a lot. Then you can browse through threads that interest you to get more information. And, of course, we like to answer questions. Hay blocks do not give the pigs much in the way of nutrition or help to pare their teeth down like actual hay. So I would suggest saving your money and just put it into purchasing a good quality hay and pellets (no bits or seeds). If you adopt from a reputable rescue, they can also help to educate you on proper diet and care.

For another source of information, check out www.guineapigcages.com All kinds of ideas for housing your pigs in appropriately sized and easy to maintain C&C cages.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:48 pm

Lulu Jane

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:52 am

Are the chewable/edible Snak and Shak tunnels ok for them?

WICharlie

Post   » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:39 pm

Here are the ingredients for that:

Ingredients: Pine wood shaving, cassava starch, alfalfa straw liquid mix (water, sodium alginate, potassium sorbate, propionic acid, honey, glycerin, propylene glycol).

Considering that the first ingredient is pine wood shaving and that it also contains honey, I would say no. I would not want my guinea pigs eating something that is made mostly of wood. There is very little in the way of nutritious food in this item (alfalfa/straw liquid mix?). You will do best to stay away from the tootie fruitie treats, toys, and hideys that are sold in the pet store and just give bits of fresh fruit for treats. Also small plastic stools make the very best kind of hideys and they are washable in your dishwasher. You can find those at stores like Shopko or Target.

Lulu Jane

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:04 am

Ok, thanks for the help, but I'm trying to stay away from plastic as much as possible. Any other non-plastic hidey ideas?

piggylover49

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:08 pm

Yes, I would also stay away from it. Propylene glycol, the last ingredient, is a possibly dangerous ingredient. According to the whole dog journal, “‘Large oral doses in animals have been reported to cause central nervous system depression and slight kidney changes.’ It has also been shown to cause hematologic abnormalities in cats, and has been eliminated from cat foods in the U.S.”

If you want to read more about propylene glycerol, you can go to this website:https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/red-flag ... ti-freeze/

You can also take cardboard boxes and make them into hideys, just make sure there is no tape. You can do the same for a large oatmeal jar.

piggylover49

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:10 pm

You can also get many fleece hideys from https://www.guineapigmarket.com/. I have had a few and they are great!