Suggestions and Help

Lulu Jane

Post   » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:54 pm

I am aware that guinea pigs are not like mice or rats, that is why I chose to adopt guinea pigs instead of buying a few mice from a pet store. I would never put a guinea pig, or any other animal, in a ball. In fact, I am planning on using a hampster ball as a mental stimulation treat toy for my future guinea pigs. I know regular wheels are very dangerous to guinea pigs, that is why I asked about "flying saucer" wheels which are the flat ones. I am aware of how big they get and that they need a lot of space. If you didn't read my first post, I mentioned that I was making a 50 sq ft enclosure for them, but they will be mostly free range. I make all the enclosers for my pets, my dwarf hampster has an entire 15 sq ft of floor space to herself, I don't believe in keeping animals in tiny spaces. I have done months of research, and I have love guinea pigs for all my life, but I knew I needed to wait until I can responsibly take care of them, mentally and financially. But never the less, this forum was created so that people can learn about cavies, so I am researching right now by asking questions on this forum. Thanks for bringing that to my attention though.

WICharlie

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:21 am

It was not my intention to sound snarky, only informative. When I see a question about "wheels," it makes me think that the one asking the question is just starting out in their research about guinea pig care. Its impossible to determine how much a person already knows in a post.

I was not familiar with the flying saucer type wheel that you mentioned so I googled it. I guess I can't envision a guinea pig using it in the way it was meant to be used. They might hide under it. If they did jump up on it and find out that it moved, I think they would jump down and never get up on it again, as they like to stand on something sturdy. Also I thought you mentioned about staying away from plastics.

It's my experience that most guinea pigs don't really play with toys all that much. The best thing seems to be to provide them with another guinea pig and room to dart around and do "zoomies." Sounds like they would have plenty of space in the area you are envisioning for them. If you have cats, though, you may need to have an enclosed cage with a lid to keep them safe.

Lulu Jane

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:12 pm

Thank you for reminding me. Sorry if I sounded rude. My brother is studying to be a stealsmith, I was hoping he could make nice Lazy Suzan like thing (out of aluminum) with some small rounded ridges for traction, that would work as a flat wheel. I'm not sure, I just wanted to know if anyone has found that it works. I think I'm going to put a wire top so the cats can't get in direct contact with the piggies. Any other ideas?

Lulu Jane

Post   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:08 pm

Are hammock hideys ok for them? It seems like it might bend their back in a weird way.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:36 pm

We have a C&C cage and really like it. only one of the girls has found her way in to the loft so far though.

Cost a bit but way better than the smaller cages we had and the improvised pen we set up.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:54 pm

That is a really lovely cage, rjespicer!

Lulu Jane

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:31 am

I would love to have a C&C cage, but I couldn't figure out a way to get a secure top so the cats can't get in. Also, any pros or cons of fleece vs bedding?

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:14 am

My cage isn't as nice as rj's but closet shelving makes a secure lid if you have cats. I have also seen people make lids with the C&C grids themselves.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:08 pm

I love the guinea pig pictures on the back walls, Catie Cavy! The cats are very curious. I am puzzling about the creature (live or not) at the far right of the top of the cage.

WICharlie

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:00 am

I think it's a plush animal, maybe a beanie baby, because I can see a tag on it.

It's a nice, functional cage. Are there zip ties on this though? Especially important to have with those lovely and curious kitties.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:26 am

The pictures were from a calendar. I thought they were too cute to throw away. The plush is a little stuffed animal. I think it’s a hamster. Someone gave it to me because they thought it was a guinea pig. There are only zip ties on the lid. The cats are much older now and no longer as interested in the pigs. My mother made the little stuffed guinea pig on the right when I was a child. Not bad for her first try.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:47 pm

How great of your mom to make you a plush guinea pig! I think she did a good job.