Getting another Guinea Pig

jrbusse124

Post   » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:58 pm

At this time, I have one beautiful little female guinea pig named Oreo. I've had her for about 2.5 years now and she has never shared with another guinea pig. I still have a pretty small cage and am looking for a bigger one, and would also like to add another guinea to my family because I know guinea pigs like to have same-species companions. I was at PetSmart and saw an ADORABLE baby guinea pig, although I now know it is a male. I would consider purchasing it and neutering it so he could bond with my girl, although I don't want to pay to have it done and risk harming him or anything else. So basically I am looking for a female guinea pig now. I also want to make sure that since Oreo has never bonded with another guinea pig (and has been a little spoiled), that she would get along with a new guinea pig, because I don't want to have to put up a cage separator, and I would feel bad for both of them then. Does anybody have any suggestions, advice, feel free to comment, I'll appreciate any advice.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:55 pm

Adopt, don't purchase. A guinea pig rescue might be able to set up a "meeting" to improve the chances of getting along with another guinea pig. Check Petfinder to see if there is a guinea pig who needs a home near you.

Do follow through on your cage expansion. I think you will find a second guinea pig will really perk up Oreo and think she is likely to get lots of extra exercise!

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:16 pm

I would go to a rescue, describe your pig, and ask them to help you match one to her personality. I'm sure the baby is cute, but I have to agree that it's better not to buy. You can often find either a compatible sow, or an already neutered boar for a single sow. My Max was not housed with another pig for the first few years of his life because I had erroneously been lead to believe that no male could live with another male and I didn't want babies. I found a very laid back adult boar to rescue and they became good friends.