Separated my adolescent boys

jatean

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:59 pm

Thank you all for your input. And if anyone else has something to add, please do.

When do you give up an introduction? Please give examples.

jatean

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:17 pm

UPDATE on reintroduction

We set up a 3x4 play pen, and introduced the boys. For the first hour there was lots of chattering, chinning, quite a bit of circling, chasing (following is more accurate, not really running) and mounting. Then things slowed down.

We all took turns sitting by the cage day and night (since they have physically attacked each other in the past)

*On the first day: The older one is the dominant - a lazy dominant. If you don't bother him, he leaves you alone. The younger one is a "slow learner"! It took hours for him to learn to show some submission with squeals, retreating, etc. And he would return in a 5 minutes to challenge again. A few tufts of fur were found in the cage. No flat out attacks or physical fights.

*Second day: the dominant lunged at the younger one twice. The younger one ran away. They found out how to burrow on the layers of fleece and towels and they spend HOURS there. Sometimes with a couple inches of each other, quietly. Usually further apart. There was either a full on fight under the fabric - or a lunge followed by scampering to get out from under the fabric. Lasted 2 seconds until the pig got out.

*** the dominant started to "control" where the younger one went, or perhaps - just tried to get him to keep more distance between them. However, when (Flapjack is younger) went to opposite side of the cage, the older (Finchley) followed him and start "grumping" at him - chattering, rumblestrutting. Flapjack was not getting all the hay or food he wanted - either out of fear, or just interference from Finchley. (So we basically have hay and pellets strewn every where, and are hand feeding Flapjack too)

No broken skin or injuries so far.

Because they spent most of their time under the fleece on the second day, I put in 2 cardboard boxes with 2 large openings for them. Flapjack tries to share a box with Finchley, and Finchley usually gets upset. Flapjack will sit outside the opening, if Finchley will let him. Sometimes he goes to the other box alone. The boxes have reduced the time spent burrowing.

They don't seem happy. But they aren't killing each other.

Your thoughts?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:57 pm

What excitement! Not killing each other sounds positive ;-) I am thinking this reintroduction could work.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:31 am

Sounds like a good start!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:35 pm

If the boxed only have one opening, you need to cut at least one more in each box.

jatean

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Granny, don't worry - the boxes are only 18 inches long and 2 large holes on each end - so there's a quick get away! And 2 of them in case no one wants to share.

So you think it's going well - even if the pigs don't seem happy? Ok - I'll take it!

After 3 days, they've started to "normalize" - such as wheek in the morning and evening when it's veggie time, and at" last check before bed time" - they've started to come to greet us and beg for their Oxbow treats.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:03 am

That really does sound positive!

jatean

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:39 pm

UPDATE: Things are still going good enough. There's some grumpiness and chasing, small amounts of chattering, but with the 3x4 cage there's plenty of room for the "victim" to run and maneuver. Honestly; sometimes I think he enjoys it because he's so much faster than the older one!

We keep at least 2 double hole'd cardboard boxes in at all times, for those times when no one wants any company. Sometimes they even share.

Our next hurdle: renovations on the house to fix damage from a plumbing flood. It's going to be extremely noisy for a couple of months. I'm thinking about setting up a cage outside on the covered balcony - to use during the day if weather allows.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:10 pm

Maybe you can set up a sound softening area for them. If you drape rugs on the walls, find soft absorbent things to dull the sound. What is used technically is egg crate like foam to deaden sound in ducts, for example. This would be best in a non-dusty area. Sorry you had a plumbing flood. Interesting that you think the "victim" might enjoy a bit of the chasing. Dashing around is very good exercise, by the way!

jatean

Post   » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:24 pm

I could be wrong of course, but the "victim" is such an active scallywag! I swear he knows exactly what he's doing. He's not squealing or making other signs of submission, and often stops, looks behind him and darts off again. Finchley doesn't chase for very along at all. Our first boar could be relentless, but Finchley doesn't chase or mount the younger one unless the younger one challenges him.

We did set up a sound buffer that helps a lot. Put a card table over the cage and draped a quilted blanket over that, leaving one side open so light can get in.

JX4

Post   » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:17 pm

Sounds like they are doing well together. They are still adolescents, after all, so expect some squabbling. A couple of fleece forests might help too.