Pregnant guinea pig- behaviours

Piggy Mum7

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:25 pm

Hey guys, I’m new to this forum, I’d just like a bit of help. My guinea pig Bella is pregnant, this is her second litter, she is due any day now. My questions are, she keeps making a deep purring sort of sound. She is eating and drinking heaps like she should 😊 and the babies are still moving and kicking and she is fine apart from that. Could someone please tell me signs that she is close to giving birth please, I do know labour signs though. Also her pelvic bones are about one and a half fingers apart, they have been that way for a couple of days now. Thank you so much for the help in advance!

Piggy Mum7

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:38 pm

Please I need answer ASAP, thanks! 😊

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:28 pm

It's a forum - someone will answer when someone knowledgeable reads this. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the purring would be about.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:53 pm

Do you have a vet lined up? Pregnancies are very risky and hard on the female's body. Second pregnancies too. We do not support breeders.
www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

What labor will look like:
www.guinealynx.info/labor.html

Piggy Mum7

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:36 pm

Thank you, I have read these over many times. I live in an area where no vets are available. The sound she makes sort of sounds like s birds chirp

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:41 pm

It sounds like birth is imminent.

Piggy Mum7

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:10 pm

Okay thank you, although she has been doing it for a few days now? I know is should be close. Also her pelvic bones are about one and a half finger widths apart

Piggy Mum7

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:38 pm

Thank you guys for the help

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:55 am

It may not only be imminent but dangerously overdue.

Piggy Mum7

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:43 pm

I know that she is due anytime, I’m not too worried yet about her being overdue. I have a question though. When my other girl gave birth I brought her inside and seperated her from her cagemate a couple of weeks before she gave birth. That birth went extremely well and I even got to watch, thankfully I didn’t need to intervene. I have done the same this time, I’ve brought her inside and away from her cagemate as they were fighting, I’ve heard that a change of environment can cause them to hold on. Could this be the case? I just don’t want her outside as it is getting quite hot and I want to be there, if problems do arise. Although I have to say she fine, she is drinking and eating heaps, as expected with 4 or 5 little ones in there! She is lazy but she still gets around fine if she has to and the babies are still moving and kicking and grinding there teeth.

Piggy Mum7

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:37 pm

Thank you guys for the help, she is currently giving birth, all babies so far are healthy and Mum is doing a great job ☺️

lisam

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:47 pm

We don't have a lot of experience with this, because we don't condone breeding. And it sounds like that's what you do.

But I feel like you would have known that? Also that we don't condone keeping guinea pigs outside.