Teenagers!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:59 pm

Stay tuned for complaining post, feel free to commiserate! :)

Current pig-load:

Oliver: est. 5-6 y.o. intact boar. Herd boss, but starting to show his age. Adopted 11.2014 (American)

A.J.: 2 y.o. intact boar. Father of Rocky and McElroy. Just wants to eat and be (mostly) left alone. Has fabulous unicorn horn. Adopted 04.2017 (Abyssinian)

Rocky: 1.5 y.o. intact boar. Porker. Loves to eat and be snuggled, after the picking up part is over. Low man on the totem pole. Adopted 04.2017 (Abyssinian)

McElroy: 1.5 y.o. intact boar. Thinks his poo don't stink, and is heir apparent to the cage throne. Can't beat on Oliver, so beats on everyone else instead. Adopted 04.2017 (Texel/Abby cross. Talk about bad hair day.) Also our resident chirper.

Cage: 2- 2x3 C&C Cages, joined with no divider in an "L" shape, giving a large floor space. This is being expanded tonight to be a panel longer, and will have a hayloft added in the next week. (I know that they hayloft doesn't count as floor space)

Observations:
1. All was well until the smallest of the kiddos turned 1. As Oliver ages, McElroy challenges, and makes sure that everyone knows who is #2. No blood-drawing fights ever. One hair pulling fight, a month ago.

2. Everyone eats, maintains weight, is generally happy. Cage is quiet 3/4 of the time. Everyone is happy when veggies are present.

3. I'm sure that Rocky is tired of his head being humped.

4. Cage has abundent beds, and a VERY large hay box, with room for all. Fights are never over food, or when veggies are present.

This is mostly a whiny post - I'm ready for them to stop irritating their mom, and be friends again! NOT looking to separate - they can work through their jazz on their own, with monitoring.

I have ordered some environment enrichment things for them, in hopes to distract them from each other, and hope the cage expansion will help.

Other ideas/commiserations? I know that cage size is key - I'm pushing this as big as I possibly can. Thinking I may add a fleece "curtain" in the middle to add some sectioning.

I really do adore them, they are just driving me batty :)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:48 pm

Breaking up the sight lines really helps, I think. Strategically placed fleece strips or curtains contribute to "out of sight, out of mind" philosophies, I think.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:16 pm

Ahh, good to hear! I think honestly sometimes they get a one track mind and just need to chill. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 pm

How about a corner cage bumper (plush animal attached to cage) to give Rocky's head a break?

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:12 am

Cage revamp last night went well. They love the divider fringe, and all was peaceful last night and this morning.

Lynx, I love your stuffed animal idea, I will be trying that for sure!

Photos!

The kitchens have wood pellets covered in fleece, which I'm still figuring out how to keep them from eating (the wood pellets) - I'm not sure how much the pellets expand when wet, and don't want anyone to get sick! (they are otherwise just wood, so no worry about poisoning)

Their extra cage things should be here on Thursday!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:51 am

Mine have all sampled a pellet or two, but none has ever actually eaten them.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Thanks, bpatters!

I few were eaten last night, but they were still more interested in the hay :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:59 pm

Looks great!