Thinking about trying introductions again

samim21

Post   » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:56 am

Hi again!

I haven't been on here for a while because things have been pretty peachy with my two pigs for a couple months :)

Since I haven't posted in a bit, I'll do a little background. I have two female guinea pigs: Nugget is about 3 years old and was adopted a few months ago, and Philly is somewhere around 4-5 years old and I've had her for about 3-4 years. Philly was previously housed with my late guinea pig (rip Pancake :( ) until she passed away. When I got Nugget, I attempted introductions with Philly a few times (for hours and hours and HOURS), but blood was drawn each time and it generally sucked for all involved.

Honestly, Philly is much calmer and more relaxed sans partner, but Nugget might benefit from more contact with a buddy. I am thinking about trying introductions again, but honestly I'm not entirely sure it will benefit either of them. Philly, once again, seems to prefer being a little more solitary and Nugget was a single pig (so far as I know) up until I got her and is eating well, active etc, without a pal.

I know how to perform intros, so I don't really need advice on that. I'd just like some opinions on whether or not I should try intros again. They are currently living in side by side cages with grid in between (with the bars wrapped in fleece so if they get rowdy they don't chew the bars or stick their faces through too much). Up until this week, they've been living in peace and seem pretty contented.

I made one fatal flaw this week: I changed the canvas lining of Nugget's cage to a brandy new one. No smells of Nugget = territorial crazy pig! She seems to be calming down a bit but she's been a little rumbly and been a bit more interested in bothering her neighbor.

This is the main reason I've been considering re-introducing them is Nugget's recent rumblys, but I have a feeling that will pass in a day or so.

To sum up: I'm thinking about reintroducing the pigs, but:
1. I don't think it will benefit Philly, in fact I think it might make her less comfortable
2. I'm not convinced it will benefit Nugget either, as she is used to being a solo pig
3. Past introductions have gone horribly and caused injury to both parties
4. There's a chance they might get along? But probably not.

I'd like thoughts on whether or not I should try intros with them and maybe opinions of their current cage situation.

Current cage situation:
Each pig has an 8sqft cage, with a 2 ft grid covered in fleece between them
They can see but not contact each other and have seemed pretty content in this situation for a few months
Both pigs are very healthy and eating well, etc.

Do you guys think I should move their cages farther apart? Or is there some benefit to letting them be close but not in contact? Nugget (up to this point) has seemed to like being able to see Philly (she tends to wheek a lot when they are far apart for too long) and Philly doesn't give a single heck lol.

Again, please no info on how to do intros, I already know. But thoughts on the cage situation and if I should try intros again would help! :)