Sows in season - should I separate?

happykay

Post   » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi all,

I have two sows, they are about 5 years old. One of the sows keeps on chasing and humping the other sow when she is in season. This happens about every 3rd week. She follows the other sow around constantly throughout the days and try to hump her every chance she get (about every 15 minutes, except for when they are sleeping/resting). The other sow tries to run away and squeeks a lot but she doesn't bite or show any agressive behaviour. However it seems really tiring for her and she do run away until she gets caught by the other sow, so it doesn't feel like she enjoys it very much.

Do you think I should seperate them for 1-2 days while the other sow gets in season/heat? Or will that kind of make the sow in heat very depressed or anxious if she doesn't get to hump (lol)?

/my first post!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:38 pm

What you should do is have the aggressive one ultrasounded for ovarian cysts. Sows can get sort of irritable when they're in heat, but that sounds more intense than normal.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:13 pm

And do make absolutely sure you have two females.
www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

happykay

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:54 am

Yes @bpatters i have had the more agressive one checked for ovarian cysts and they didn’t found anything. I have also checked their sexes and they are both females. The agressive one doesn’t bite her or anything she just run behind the other sow to mount her for 2-3 seconds and then run off.
But do you think i should seperate for 2 days while she is this intense?

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:38 am

Things can get rough and tumble here, too. I usually leave them be, because the humper usually becomes the humpee in a day or so.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:44 am

Do not separate them.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:59 pm

We have 3 girls and, as PooksiedAnimals says, the humper and one point can become the humpee at another.
It may happen for a 5 minute period but then they get back to normal. Seeing little Suzi (at 720g) chasing Chunkita (at 1100g) around the room is a bit of a sight though.

However it doesn't sound like our three are as intense as what you are experiencing.