New Piggy from rescue

BZoo

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:38 pm

Hello all, it's been awhile. I read the site often, but don't post much.

Anyhow you may remember my pigs, Jessica and Katrina. Katrina was the one w/ovarian cysts. She never seemed bother by them, ate well, popcorned and just seemed to be just fine. Last week, she finally passed. I think she died eating, as her head was in the bowl. On a gross note, one of her eyes was gone, could Jessica have eaten it? I had checked on them before leaving for work and then that evening was when I found her.

The were sisters and very bonded. So naturally, Jessica was very depressed. I immediately got in touch w/a rescue to inquire about a similar age (3 yrs) lone female. She had one, beautiful black abby w/ a touch of rust orange around eyes and ears and a bright orange belly! Her name was Midnight, but I have changed it to Josie.

Intros in the tub went ok. They aren't buddies but there has been no aggression. Jessica is defiantly out of her slump. I removed the hide for a few days and put it back last night. So far they aren't trying to block either one in or out.

Josie is a sweet little girl. Has no problems being picked up (which Jessica still does, little booger) and loves to be loved. The info given at her surrender may or may not be correct. I have a suspicion she might be pregnant, though rescue was told she wan't w/a male. Time will tell I guess. If she is, do I have to remove Jessica and then later do the bonding over again? When I was young and dumb and raised G.Pigs, I just left them all together, but they were a big bonded herd.

The rescue was spotless, full of happy pigs (and a few other assorted critters). There were two males I would have jumped at, but husband said NO (even though it was his fault I even looked at them, one looked a bit like a skunk). I asked the gal about cleaning all those cages. She said it's not work, that that room was her happy place! :) Needless to say, if any other pigs are to come into this family, they will be from her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:56 pm

If your "hide" has only one entrance, I would cut a second entrance or find a different one that does. Little plastic stools are great because there are four ways in and out! You can group them together.
https://www.guinealynx.info/my-pigs.html#stool

You can leave them together if Josie is pregnant.

WICharlie

Post   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:26 am

How long has the rescue had her? Gestation is what, 70 days typically? If they've had her longer than that, she can't be pregnant. With our rescue, we always kept females at least 70 days if we suspected they could be pregnant. Especially if we pulled them from a humane society because then you just don't know.

BZoo

Post   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:52 pm

They had only had her two weeks. She's not looking so much like a pear now. husband will be pleased if I'm wrong on the pregnancy. :)