Guinea Pig Constantly Whimpering Now?

dchen298

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:22 am

I don't really know if whimpering is the correct word, but when I took one of my pigs out for floor time today, I noticed he kept constantly making a low, soft whimpering sound. This was constantly ongoing the entire time. He was never like this before and wasn't like this when I checked up on him a couple of hours ago. I took a video of him and you can hear it in the video if you turn your volume up:
https://youtu.be/O0Xp9P8lZLg

Is this any cause for concern? I'm really worried. Could this be just his nose being clogged? Potential respiratory infection? Laryngitis? Any help and opinions would be appreciated; thanks.

dchen298

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:32 am

Update: I observed him for 45 mins after I put him back in his cage and from the moment he went back in his cage, he didn't make the noise anymore at all. Was he just whimpering because he was scared during floor time? Him and my other pig have been getting into tussles more frequently again recently so maybe that's why?

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:39 am

That sounds like respiratory. It can sometimes be caused by stress, but it's more likely to be a URI. I would get him checked out by an exotics vet to make sure. (URIs are nothing to trifle with.)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:30 am

You might want to read this over:
www.guinealynx.info/uri.html

dchen298

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:13 pm

PooksiedAnimals wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:39 am That sounds like respiratory. It can sometimes be caused by stress, but it's more likely to be a URI. I would get him checked out by an exotics vet to make sure. (URIs are nothing to trifle with.)
Lynx wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:30 am You might want to read this over:
www.guinealynx.info/uri.html
From the few hours I've spent with him since I put him back in his cage last night, up to and including right now, I haven't heard him make that noise since. During floor time last night he was constantly making that noise but since then I haven't heard it once. Do you guys still think it could be a URI?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:20 pm

Funny breathing noises can be a result of eating something and having it go down funny - or some other cause.

If you choose to hold off, weigh daily and keep monitoring for any signs of illness.

dchen298

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:23 pm

Lynx wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:20 pm Funny breathing noises can be a result of eating something and having it go down funny - or some other cause.

If you choose to hold off, weigh daily and keep monitoring for any signs of illness.
I appreciate you very much for your response, I will monitor him closely. Thanks!

TeddyGram
Supporter

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:01 pm

That was the sound Teddy made when he had his uri. It wasn’t constant. He made it more when he was eating. It did turn out to be wheezing from a uri.