Urinary Supplements

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:09 am

I did a search on GL for this product as I could have sworn I had started a discussion on it a couple of years or so ago, but couldn't find it. I'm curious to know if anyone here who has a sludge pig or pig with other bladder issues has tried these:
https://store.sherwoodpethealth.com/urinary-support/

I ordered a bag last week for one of our guys, but I haven't tried them so far. The analysis is listed as:

Crude protein (min) 1%
Crude Fiber (min/max) 17% / 22%
Crude fat (min) 0.5%
Moisture (max) 4%

No mention of calcium.
Active ingredients are banana, magnesium sulfate, cranberry, L-Ascorbic acid (vit C), magnesium stearate, and pryidoxine hydrochloride (vit B6).

I assume the main benefit to bladder is the cranberry and mild diuretic. They are pricey but got fairly good reviews on Amazon.com, mostly from bun owners. They are about the same size and shape as the old Oxbow cranberry treats (can't even remember the name of them, now--other old-timers will know). Description on Amazon states that they are soft, but they are a crunchy round tablet. A few comments mention the new carrot flavor, but the ones I received don't have any mention of carrot.

I also ordered an herbal supplement from Fuzzies Kingdom for bladder issues, but it hasn't arrived yet. It's not on her website; she mixes it upon request. Anyone try it?

Interesting comment on this website about green peppers and bladder stones:
http://azeah.com/guinea-pigs/bladder-stones

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:26 pm

The comment on green peppers was:
A study by Dr. Hawkins at the University of California (Davis) found that guinea pigs that were regularly fed bell peppers had a lower incidence of bladder stones, but the reason for this is not understood.
I am pretty skeptical about this. Green peppers are a food many of us feed and we still have guinea pigs with stones. I believe some studies just find correlations, which are not as strong an argument as specific studies aimed at (in this case) one food.

So I am skeptical. Would be interested in seeing the study.