What color is my guinea pig? (help)

kingabm98

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi! About a month ago a got a guinea pig from a pet store (I wanted to adopt one but where I live there were no guinea pigs available in the shelters), however, the seller in the shop was not sure how the coat color of this little piggy guy is called - as soon as I saw him I fell in love with him.
I did my research and it looks the most as if he would be a Dalmatian but he doesn't quite fit in the "professional description" - his feet are not completely black (only one finger is black) and one of his ear is half pink. Additionally, his head is brownish, the spots/strokes are grey and he has a little black spot of his butt. Can I still say that he is a Dalmatian?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:12 pm

Most definitely a he. And he does have some dalmatian in him. However, he does not have the standard conformation of a dalmatian.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:29 pm

Absolutely do NOT breed him. That's the hair color pattern of pigs that can produce lethal white offspring, and you never want to have that happen. If he's housed with another pig, turn them over and compare their private parts to make sure they're the same. If not, separate them immediately and cross your fingers that the female isn't pregnant.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:02 am

A-ha! I was gonna say roan but I think Dalmatian is a form of roan.

And yes, what bpatters said--DO NOT BREED him. But we would say that about breeding anyway.

BTW, he is cute!

Kimera

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:24 am

He, and most definitely he is a boar, has a very unique coloring. The dark parts seem to be gold agouti and the rear part is irregularly colored roan, almost dalmatian.
As a whole, his color does not conform to any standard, but that could be expected in a "mutt" , a randomly bred cavy. His face is incredibly cute, though.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:46 am

He *is* so cute I almost hurt looking at him!