Misc non-cuy comments

Pearlcle

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:50 am

Name: Snowflake and Marshmallow
Both female. Purchased at PetSmart on July 2018 Both were about 6 months at that time.
Snowball has black and white fur. Marshmallow has dark brown and white.
Both are normal. Big fat piggies. At first I didn’t know they are Cuy. I thought I just feed them too much. Hard to tame. Very cute and adorable but always hiding.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:41 am

How much do they weigh?

Pearlcle

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:14 am

I had a hard time weighting them. Their weight now is about 850 g. At first I was scare because that was a bit too much. I thought of lessen the hay. My family said don’t feed them too much, they’re getting too fat.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:31 pm

They aren't cuy. A year old cuy would weigh in excess of four pounds, maybe closer to five.

And 850 grams isn't too fat for a guinea pig. Every pig I've ever owned has been around the 1250-1300 gram mark, and none have been too fat.

Pearlcle

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:56 pm

I’m taking them to Los Angeles guinea pig shelter this Saturday see if they can help me identify them. I hope they’re not because I love them very much. If they come near the cage and eat the food from my hand and let me touch their nose for few seconds then that’s mean they’re not right?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:17 pm

No, it has nothing to do with whether or not they're cuy. All guinea pigs are skittish and it takes a long time to tame them. And even if they are cuy, they're still guinea pigs and you can keep them for pets.

Cuy are a larger breed of guinea pig, often grown for food in South America. Grown cuy weigh at least four pounds, and some quite a bit more. They're very strong for their size, most are red and white. If you google "cuy -eat -food" (without the parentheses), you'll get pictures without having to look at all the roasted cuy images.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:09 pm

Our 3 girls are 1,126g 1,009g and 842g and they are about 10 months old. I thought they were overweight as well based on the info I had seen online saying a normal weight for an adult female was 700-900g. As bpatters says you will have to be patient on taming. Bribery with food is a good bet. Ours will eat pellets and veggies out of my hand and will even climb up on me to get treats but will still be skittish if i try to pet them and dont like being picked up.

MariusMum2

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:28 pm

Where was the Pet Supply Plus Nero was adopted at? I've been looking for a companion to my Inti boar for six months. rjespicer, my boar was skittish at first too, he still is to an extent.