Connecting Coroplast?

loos_pig

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:34 pm

Hey everyone,

I’m new to this forum and have only had my pigs for about one month. I’ve got 5 females that get along very well (3 around 5 months old, 2 about a year old) housed in a 3x5 C&C Type setup.

I want to expand into a larger L-shaped C&C home which will eventually go on top of a wooden stand I’ll build. Most likely something along the lines of 3x5 by 3x6. (Thank you large dining room.)

I guess my question is; what is an efficient way to attach multiple pieces of Coroplast together so that they stay in place for cleaning and stay fairly water-tight? I’ve seen some duct tape designed for tarps but I don’t know how safe that would be. I use layers of towels and fleece for bedding so the girls wouldn’t be touching, but I’m not sure. Also- any of you with a 3 wide C&C on a stand, what’s the reachability like for cleaning?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:31 pm

Sounds like it would be a great cage! You might do a search over at www.guineapigcages.com for "duct tape" or "duck tape" (or some sort of variation) to see if there are ideas over there.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:23 pm

You can use duct tape or packaging tape -- just put it on the bottom of the cage so the pigs can't get to it. You can seal any cracks with a hot glue gun -- just don't hit the coroplast with the gun, as it will melt.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:13 pm

I've used leftover pieces of coroplast from making cages for my adopters to make cages for my boarding room. I simply overlap the pieces about 6", and put enough tape to hold them in place. I don't worry about leakage because the bedding should take of that. If urine is getting through, the bedding should have been changed long ago. Bits of shaving will get through but I just brush those out time to time.

loos_pig

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:07 am

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions!

I think I’ll be going the duct tape route. Also, I was worried about moisture because I use a water/vinegar spray to wipe down the base every time I change the bedding. I’ve found the duct tape specifically made for tarps to be advertised as pretty durable and water resistant.