Dry shampoo

Layeanta

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:52 am

Hi!Today while browsing petco, I saw dry shampoo for small animals. It was the Super Pet Quick and Clean I beleive. I was wondering if It was healthy for guinea pigs to use because I had never seen it before. Would this be safe to use on Max? or do any of you have any experience with dry shampoo?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:16 am

I am unsure why you might want to use it. Check out www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html for some better suggestions.

I think most guinea pigs who really "need" some sort of cleaning (can be due to medical issues like diarrhea or a UTI), benefit more from a regular bathing - or a butt bathing to clean the problem area.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:07 am

I'm not a fan of dry shampoos for animals that groom themselves. You can never get all of it off the animal, and they'll ingest it when grooming. Given guinea pigs' notoriously finicky guts, I'd think you'd be risking a possible GI upset.

There's nothing wrong with giving them a bath in water. They don't usually need them very often, but it doesn't hurt them as long as they're thoroughly rinsed.

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:35 am

...and allowed to dry in a warm place where they won't catch a chill.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:25 am

I'll also add that I've used dry shampoo on myself a few times, and I don't like how gunky it makes my hair feel. It really does leave a yucky residue. Agree with bpatters that I really wouldn't want to use it on a guinea pig or cat, or any other animal that grooms itself.

We have a pig who is paralyzed and needs frequent butt baths. I just fill up the sink with maybe 2" of warm water and a squirt of Dawn dishwashing liquid, and it seems to get the job done. I then empty the sink and run him under the faucet with more warm water to rinse; towel dry him part of the way, then use the hairdryer to get any remaining damp areas before putting him back in his cage.

Layeanta

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:50 am

Thanks for advices

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:48 am

Your pig is not a dog. Dogs do not groom themselves the way pigs do. Don't use waterless shampoos on your pigs.