Chirping like a bird

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:02 pm

My youngest girl, Smores, is doing something very peculiar. She is chirping, quite loudly, like a bird. I’ve seen and heard videos of this online but they all say it’s supposed to be very rare and “when they are in a trance like state”.

Problem is, she chirps all the time. At least twice a week during the night, and sometimes in the daytime too.

When she chirps in the daytime, it is very very loud. And it sounds just like the birds outside. When I go over to the cage to check on her she instantly stops. She’s beeen doing this for a while now, since I got her in November.

Is she okay? Is this a part of their heat cycle? Any help is appreciated, I am at a loss.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:47 pm

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:53 pm

She's calling the mother ship.

All rodents can chirp. Not all do, however.

Psychobabbler

Post   » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:48 pm

My dearly departed sow chirped once. It was the first time my then grade school son practiced trumpet at home. As a result, I am convinced chirping is an alarm call, LOL.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:13 pm

None of the guinea pigs I've ever had in my life have ever chirped. I would probably freak out if my guys did that, had I not gotten into this forum and found out before hand that it's something they do. You never stop learning about these wonderful little pets.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:03 pm

So it’s nothing to be startled or worried over? Thanks guys

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:17 pm

I wouldn't think so. It might be beneficial to do an environment check just to be sure double there nothing upsetting her enough to make her chirp. If there's nothing, I'd say it's ok.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:16 am

What might be upsetting her? The only thing I can think of are the dogs. However they are across the house, in cages and behind closed doors most of the time. Plus they are all puppy shih tzus or whatever. If that’s upsetting her I don’t know how to fix it.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:23 am

I don't think she's upset by anything. I don't think pigs chirp when they're upset. They're prey animals, and if anything, they'd freeze and say nothing.

I had several chirpers, and they all sang when the house was perfectly still. They were in a trance-like state, and the other pigs would go into one as well while the chirping is going on.

Chirping is totally normal, and it's nothing to worry about or to fix.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:54 pm

Okay, thanks for relieving me there. What do you mean by, “trance like state”? When I try to imagine that, they are like kind of half asleep and walking slowly and kind of swaying around slowly, but that’s not what S’mores does. Is she special? (I don’t mean like special needs)

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:59 am

My chirpers both just kind of froze while they chirped. The other pigs also "froze" in place. I could never find anything in or near the cage(s) that seemed to upset them, but if I moved closer to try to get a video of them, they'd go silent. It used to drive me nuts thinking there must be a bird nest outside their window or near the air vent. Hahahaha Joke was on me!

I no longer have any pigs who chirp. I miss that.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:57 pm

When my s’mores pig chirps, Rome starts rumblestrutting for some reason, and targarian goes in his hides.