Guinea Pig Care Help

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:41 am

I think those word processors were the latest thing when I was at community college. I seem to remember a system the size of a desk with huge copper disks to store info. I agree, Lynx, Basic made sense and was fun to use. I taught a community ed class in DOS just before Windows came along. One thing I have noticed is the computer users who started out with DOS and Basic are well organized and know where there files are. If you didn't pay attention, you would never locate your file again. Now, files are stored everywhere, in triplicate, and Windows just pulls up the most recent one.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:38 am

Hey! You would appreciate that some years back my husband salvaged some of the huge disks from one of the companies he used to work at! I think the ones we have are not copper but kind of tan. I think they are over a foot in diameter.

ItsaZoo, the second computer we got was an Amiga (color). They didn't really go anywhere since microsoft took things over.

It is still in the attic too.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:23 am

Lynx, some of those old systems sell for a pretty penny. If you ever decide to get rid of them, be sure to look around for the current prices.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:03 pm

I forgot about the Amiga. We got an affordable PC from Radio Shack after IBM came out with their extremely expensive 8086 green screen version. But 512k was the memory limit and we were told they would never be able to go beyond that!

rjespicer

Post   » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:56 pm

I used to have an Atari 1040 ST, I still have it plus one that belonged to my grandfather and a spare. I dont like PCs so I didn't get one of my own until around 1994.

I used to write my own games in BASIC on the ZX81, havent done that for a while.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:04 pm

Not sure mine would be worth much. Very expensive back then, though. I remember finding out I was pregnant with my now 40 year old son shortly after we bought the TRS-80. We likely would not have done so if we'd known.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:18 pm

My first home computer was the Apple IIc back in 1983 or 1984, I think:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:23 pm

Aw, so cute!