Problems with fleece?

daj

Post   » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:29 pm

[Edit by Lynx - this topic pertains to daj medical topic, located here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =2&t=76985 ]

I am wondering if anyone has experience any sort of problems with fleece bedding. I've been having a long running problem with itchy pigs. I'm giving Revolution another try, but lately I am wondering about my bedding and laundering process. I made my blankets with fleece bought on Amazon. I do a pre-wash outside in a Brute container. I do a couple rinses and then soak in overnight with bleach and free & clear detergent. I tried replacing the bleach with vinegar, but the blankets didn't get as clean, and I didn't notice any change in the itching.

After the the soak, I do rinse twice more outside, then I do a machine wash on a 'quick wash' setting, with more detergent and vinegar. If I don't remember to turn down the heat when drying, the blankets come out with a strong chemical/solvent sort of odor. After the last laundering my pigs seemed to be especially itchy. To see if my blankets or cleaning process could be the source of our ongoing problem, I switched them last night, back to the paper bedding. It's too early to tell, but they do seem to be scratching less.

I don't want to keep them on paper long term. For one thing, the cost is outrageous. It's also dusty, and I don't see how it can't be drying to their skin (I have skinny pigs). If I try to go back to fleece, I would need to make rather than buy blankets, as I need 6 in total and could not afford to buy them pre-made. If anyone has thoughts on this I would surely appreciate it. Recommendations on quality fleece by the yard are appreciated too. Thanks!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:25 pm

We don't seem to have any issues with fleece, other than I greatly dislike sweeping off the hay, hair and poops. I use a "rubber brush" to brush off as much debris from the towels and fleece as I possibly can, and then throw it all in the wash with Free & Clear laundry detergent. I don't pre-soak anything. If there is significant amount of odor, I will add a little bleach. Otherwise, not. I wash it on Warm with a single rinse cycle. That's it. Toss it in the dryer and I'm done.

I buy cheap fleece from WalMart and cheap white towels at Big Lots.

I do like the convenience (sort of) of paper bedding, but agree that it is very costly and, I feel, not as hygienic.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:11 pm

You need to rinse twice after you wash with detergent.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:30 pm

Why?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:23 pm

Just to make sure all the detergent is out, particularly if you have soft water.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:32 am

I use the hand wash cycle on my washing machine, which is a more thorough wash and takes longer. I then use the rinse and spin cycle to get any left over detergent out of the fleece. When drying, I don't use fabric softener. This method works out pretty well as it provides clean and chemical free bedding for my piggies. They don't have any problems with their skin or fur.

The fleece I have is from the fabric department at Walmar, some of it is fleece blankets that I cut to size, and some of it was on clearance from JoAnn fabrics.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:33 pm

I rinse 3 times after washing to get the detergent out. I noticed that my recent washer needs more rinsing cycles than my old one, as it economizes water and energy. I know because even detergent for sensitive skin makes me itchy after 2 rinses only. I can smell the detergent after 2 rinses, so I need 3.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:42 pm

My washer seems to get all of the detergent out, and the time I do a 2nd rinse is if I use bleach. Haven't noticed any issue with it, but it's good to keep in mind.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:17 pm

I bought a new washer a few months ago and the economy mode is pretty much useless, just sprays a little water on the clothes. So with fleece I set it for heavy duty, which is the longest wash and highest spin. And I select large load so there's enough water.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:44 pm

Ditto on selecting large load -- I do that, too.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:52 pm

Large load setting on hand wash takes about 45 minutes in my washer. The rinse and spin cycle setting does a great job of getting what little detergent is left after the hand wash cycle.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:17 am

I have no large load setting on my recent washer, but a blanket one. That one doesn't spin enough, so it's no use. We are supposed to load each laundry at 1/4 of the top, no more, no less. My washer has steam technology, as all recent washers seem to have here in Belgium. It has air bubble technology too, at least it cleans well, but it uses very little water, and that does not seem to rinse well at all. It wasn't expensive, but if all future washers are going to be like this, there is room for improvement, much of it.