Looking for a vet...Clinton Iowa

squeaker13

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:03 am

I know there's someone out there that knows the Shelter in Clinton and I've seen GP's listed there. If anyone knows of a GP vet in that area, please please tell me. I am moving them in 3 weeks and if I can't find one my only option would be to drive back to my hometown 2 hours away. That really doesn't work for emergency situations.

Thanks!

Megan

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:26 am

Not sure how far this will be from you, but it is an exotic vet(I got it from a Chinchilla vet index- http://www.cachins.org )

Dr. Rick Harmon
Oaks Veterinary Clinic
2030 27th Street, Des Moines, 50310

It wouldn't hurt to call if they are closer, and see if they treat pigs/are knowledgable. I've found most vets who treat chinchilla's also treat pigs.

squeaker13

Post   » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:32 am

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, Des Moines is in the opposite direction I need to go. If you look at Iowa on a map and draw a straight line horizontally through the middle, I'm going to be on the farthest eastern point, closer to Illinois than I'd like, but I'd go there if it meant a good vet.

Thanks again!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:12 am

Hey Squeaker, I don't have any recommendations, but I did live in that area some years ago. Try the online yellow pages and call vets anywhere in Clinton, Davenport, Bettendorf, Rock Island (IL) and Moline (IL). I have a friend in that area and I'll email him to see if he knows any vets. You can also contact area animal shelters to see if they have recommendations.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:00 pm

Hi Squeaker

My Iowa buddy came through with this:

DeWitt Veterinary Clinic
Dr. Troy Stafford
563-659-5231

My friend doesn't have pigs, but this is the vet his brother uses for dogs/cats. You can call and see what their relationship with cavies is. I can't vouch for this clinic or anything, but it is a place to start.

Good luck!

Pinny Gig

Post   » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:30 pm

Squeaker, I'm sorry I'm only now seeing this. I'm the one who knows the administrator at the Clinton Animal Shelter. Let me get a message to her and see if she'd be willing to communicate with you via e-mail concerning a good exotics vet in the area.

squeaker13

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:28 am

Pinny Gig - it's okay..I'm going to Clinton on Thursday to sign some papers for the house and I plan on spending the rest of the day looking for vets and going to the Humane Society. My husband has called Ambassador Veterinary Clinic in Clinton, and they said that while they don't have an exotic vet on staff they see "quite a few" guinea pigs. I'm going to talk to them in person and find out how many "quite a few" really is. I really hope I can find one in Clinton. It's really stupid for me to come back to Marshalltown just so I can see a vet I trust.

I have a stupid question, will my current vet send any medical history to my new vet?

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:18 am

You should ask your current vet for a copy that you can give to your new vet (or make copies and then give to vet, keeping the original).

If you do find a vet, there is a new board member in Moline IL with a seriously infested pig - s/he might be interested in a regional vet if there is a good one.

Pinny Gig

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:50 pm

Squeaker, I just sent you an e-mail with some information in it from my friend who is the administrator at the animal shelter. Included is her number where you can reach her, if you get a chance to call or go by the shelter while you're in Clinton. Good luck!

squeaker13

Post   » Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:24 am

Bad news....Good news....

Bad news, I went to Clinton on Thursday and I tried to get to the Humane Society before they closed and I got there a few minutes too late. ARGH! I went around town looking for vet's offices and talked to one vet at Ambassador Vets. He wasn't extremely helpful, but he did say he saw "a lot of guinea pigs."

Still, I'm not comfortable with that.

Good news, while I was at work today, my current vet called and left me a message that he had found one of his old classmates from Vet school in Bettendorf who is an exotics vet. He gave me a phone number and I'll call them on Monday to see if they could possibly be my new vet's office. Wahoo!