I have a question about fruits and vegetables

BrownEyedShorty

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:56 am

I was just wondering if maybe guinea pigs can have cantelopes (sp?). And are there any other healthy vegtables or fruits you feed your guinea pig. My mom is going to the store in a little while,but I just wanted to ask. Just to tell her if she should get anything for Bambi and Trudy. Thank You for your time. :)

Paisley

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:13 am

I have given Gypsy and Paisley very small pieces of cantalope before. It should be okay to do so.

Some other things I've given Gypsy and Paisley:
Leaf lettuce, Parsley, Cilantro, Cherry tomatoes, Green & other colored peppers, very small slivers of carrots and cucumbers, blueberries.

lisam

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:15 am

You can read this http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html#diet , it has some ideas for good fruits and veggies.

I can tell you what my pigs prefer--cantaloupes, parsley, cilantro, romain lettuce, apples, fennel.

BrownEyedShorty

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:16 am

Thank you so much!How is my typing doing? Oh and thanks for the link.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:25 am

Browneyedshorty - Your typing is fine. Don't let Evangeline scare you - she's very ornery.

BrownEyedShorty

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:30 am

:)

Thank You for your nice comment. I feel much better now. Take care.

lisam

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:05 pm

She may be ornery, but did I tell you she's also in charge until Lynx gets back? Be afraid, be very afraid.

And, BrownEyedShorty, your typing is very nice. Much improved. You get an A.

critterluv02

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:14 pm

I got lucky at the grocery store the other day. They had a huge variety of fresh goodies. I came home with Kale, Swiss Chard, Bok choy, Dandelions, Mustard Greens, Parsely and Cilantro. My piggies have been very happy!

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:19 pm

E's in charge? I'm shakin' in my boots;)

brinkmama

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:58 pm

Our girlies love love love canaloupe! It is cute because the get orange beards from eating it! I cut small wedges and then cut them in thirds or half depending on how long the wedges are, and let them go to town..they do not seem to eat the rind, just the juicey fruit. Also they love blueberries, grapes and strawberries and now they are loving apples! (along w/ their greens of course)

chordita

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:44 pm

my guinea pigs REALLY love watermelon, but they like the rind better than the fruit! You should try going to those fresh produce markets, they have lots of variety. My pigs also like wheat grass, plain grass, the leafy tops on carrots, red swiss chard, escarole, and green peppers

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:52 pm

My pigs love cantaloupe. I eat a quarter of it, leaving some on the rind, then cut the rind into a big piece for the big pigs and a small piece for the small pigs. They love it, and it's soft enough that even Einstein can eat it.

If only it weren't so heavy to carry home from the store...

Becky

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:10 pm

Browneyedshorty - Your typing is fine. Don't let Evangeline scare you - she's very ornery.

E being ornery is the reason BES's typing has improved. We all should be thanking E.

The rind is the part most pigs prefer, so cut off most of the fruit part for yourselves and give the rinds with a quarter inch of fruit left to the pigs.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:39 pm

Becky-
Too much reasoning for Truffie, I'm afraid.

Etta Mae
Lynx's Favorite

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:59 pm

What's up with this "E's in charge..." business?

That's crap. I have an e-mail from Lynx telling me specifically that I was in charge.

I'd post it, but you know- board rules and all.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:30 pm

Yeah, Cara might get after you for reprinting emails without permission.

greer519

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:31 pm

Well i guess I'll have to try cantaloupe with my piggies, so far out of everything I have tried they seem to only really like...no LOVE....is carrots and green peppers. We tried bananas and they just turned brown, cucumbers they nibbled a little on and left them to get mushy, cilantro just became sea weed (LOL). Oh and they love their pellets and hay. We did buy them some vitamin crunchy ring things, they do seem to like those. Picky little piggies! :)

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:45 pm

Have you tried other leafy greens? Kale, collards, parsley, mustard greens, chard, romaine?

greer519

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:46 pm

Tried green leaf lettuce, and once again they didn't like it. Oh yeah and they love oranges.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:30 pm

Right, but what about the other stuff? They all taste quite different, so your pigs might prefer some other flavors. Plus, you need to try to give it to them on multiple occasions; they will often warm up to veggies after a few tries.

35 posts